• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Great looking tank, I'm enjoying the way it's shape.

I have the same Chihiros Series A Plus lights; how many cm above the surface do you have yours?

You also mentioned reducing the intensity a bit, what setting are you now on?

Great looking tank, I'm enjoying the way it's shape.

I have the same Chihiros Series A Plus lights; how many cm above the surface do you have yours?

You also mentioned reducing the intensity a bit, what setting are you now on?

Thanks man! I keep the light 2 dimmed clicks from the highest setting, as for the height, you can hopefully get an idea from the picture:
P1010102.JPG

Looking good, I too would like to know what setting you are using (have the same light here about to set up a similar tank) i.e level 1 being the lowest what setting are you on? Looks like you have the light fully extended?

Edit - looks like you answered my question above while I was typing

My tank was running smoothly with healthy growth with the lights at 7.5cm on setting 4 (1-7). I introduced some new plants and made the mistake of lowering my lights to about 2.5cm above the top of the tank with the same settings; in about 3 days spot algae showed up followed by hair algae the next day.

I’ve since raised the lights to 8.25cm above the top of the tank. I’m using your light intensity and height above the tank to approximate my own.

I’m guessing you’re about 13cm, sound about right?

My tank was running smoothly with healthy growth with the lights at 7.5cm on setting 4 (1-7). I introduced some new plants and made the mistake of lowering my lights to about 2.5cm above the top of the tank with the same settings; in about 3 days spot algae showed up followed by hair algae the next day.

I’ve since raised the lights to 8.25cm above the top of the tank. I’m using your light intensity and height above the tank to approximate my own.

I’m guessing you’re about 13cm, sound about right?

Close (;

IMG_2122.JPG

So just a quick update:

Tank seems to be close to balanced with little to no algae at the moment, except for some BBA that I'm fighting off with some hydrogenperoxide. Surface film also no longer seem to appear. I've started using a Eheim skim 350, that as an added bonus doubles as a powerhead to increase my flow - its only running during lighttime for Co2 reasons as im running a PH-controller and wouldnt wanna waste to much Co2 during nighttime because of the increased gas exchange while the skimmer is running. And even after the skimmer has been turned off for 15 hours there is still no visible film - so all in all I'm currently really happy with my decision to install it, regardless of what people might think of skimmers. It also does cleaning up after trimmings a lot easier so that's an added bonus as well.

The Bucephalandra is very slowly, and finally showing signs of new leafs after looking like dead sticks for months

Fish and shrimp seems to be doing fine, unfortunately my 2 longfin Rams turned out to be males, so guess I wont be seeing any breeding any time soon. - Considering adding a female and see how it goes, consequently i will have to remove one of the males.

also as seen on the pictures i decided to add some Glossostigma on the upper right corner to mix in with the HC, excited to see how that goes - I also learned the hard way that Fissidens doesn't like carbo being added directly on to it, as it has simply killed the plant on the exact spots i tried to brush it on - no biggie though as it was only a very small part.

Regards
P1010111.JPG
P1010112.JPG
P1010113.JPG
P1010114.JPG
P1010116.JPG
P1010117.JPG

Nice looking tank with great fish!
Got a question about the fish though, those are Ram Chichlid's right? They turn out to be 5-7cm?
Isn't your 60p to small for them? Should they do fine with some Neocaridinas?

I was hoping on putting some Chichlid's in my tank (60L Dennerle Nanocube).
Thanks!

Nice looking tank with great fish!
Got a question about the fish though, those are Ram Chichlid's right? They turn out to be 5-7cm?
Isn't your 60p to small for them? Should they do fine with some Neocaridinas?

I was hoping on putting some Chichlid's in my tank (60L Dennerle Nanocube).
Thanks!

I've kept a pair in a 60p before. They continued to display amazing color, behavior and breeding. So I guess a single pair is ok as long as you make the tank heavyly planted and lots of places to hide. From what I can tell the fish seems to be doing really well - also the water is configured to be close to their natural habitat

Looking great, and really nice rams too. Do they harass the shrimp at all?

Great read and certainly made my mind up about getting a chihiros a series plus for a 45-f. I also made the same mistake of not dosing ei for three week, terrible advice! This time round I'll be dosing straight away! Cheers,
Matt.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Had a full on BBA outbreak, almost feared the tank was beyond saving - Did a lot of trimming, spot treated daily with H2O2, increased Co2 and flow and now 10 days later BBA is nowhere to be seen.

Pic:
A little stressed right after WC, but normally keeps distance of each other. Going to give them away soon, as my LFS is bringing in some wild caught GBR's from South America and having two males in a 60p just isn't optimal for the fish.
P1010144.JPG

Just wanted to show you guys some shots - after the big trim and BBA battle:
P1010148.JPG

HC looking good and healthy:
P1010149.JPG

Also installed the UP inline Diffuser today, must admit i enjoy not having the diffuser and tubing inside the tank and the UP seems to be doing a very good job making an extremely fine mist, that you have to get really close to see.

Some HP love:
P1010151.JPG

Last edited:
Looking good :):thumbup: HP seems in shape :) don't forget to trim the Cuba though; the thicker it gets , higher the risk to detach from the substrate ; no to mention the mess trapped under those beautiful tiny leaves

Back