• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Very nice start, you could add some carpeting plant, like eleocharis sp mini or marsilea crenata near the rocks, it will mix great with hc cuba and looks more natural. ;)

Fissidens moss is very prone to hair algae because of it's shape and slow growth, you can remove them manually with small tweezers when doing your WC, japonica shrimps will eat them when they're hungry. Don't dose liquid carbon or excel on it, it will die!

Cheers

Very nice start, you could add some carpeting plant, like eleocharis sp mini or marsilea crenata near the rocks, it will mix great with hc cuba and looks more natural. ;)

Fissidens moss is very prone to hair algae because of it's shape and slow growth, you can remove them manually with small tweezers when doing your WC, japonica shrimps will eat them when they're hungry. Don't dose liquid carbon or excel on it, it will die!

Cheers

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely look into getting some Eleocharis, I agree it would ad a natural layer to the scape

Day15:
So today I went to the store to try to pick up some Eleocharis - as sugested by Cookies. I am still debating whether to add some
Hygrophila pinnatifida or Hydrocotyle tripartita on the left side, although im leaning towards the Hygrophila to add some contrast to the gren on green im currently experiencing, as the Rotala is yet to grow out, I think it would soften the transition in colour nicely(?).

The slow grower:
dag15.2.JPG

The new addition:
dag15.3.JPG

dag15.4.JPG

Fullshot:
dag15.JPG

Also i bought these Bucephalandra from Aquasabi, that im looking very much forward to receiving:
bucephalandra-sp-kedagang.jpg

Currently I've been weighing down the Redmoor with an additional stone on top (see photos). I had the wood pre-soaked for 7 days so it has been submerged for about 22 days, however it still seemed to be trying to float when I tried lifting on the stone some days ago. Does anyone have experience with soaking redmoor and know how long - if at all - I should be keeping it suppressed?

It seems to differ with the pieces I have, I have had a piece soaking for 2 months and still refuses to sink, azalea root seems to sink after soaking for a week as it seems somewhat denser to start with.

Would love to have access to a vacuum chamber to make the process faster!

If you can try tieing or glueing some rock to the underside of the wood to keep it from floating.
Sometimes the wood can remain buoyant for months.

Depending on size, you could boil it for an hour+ before soaking, that helped a bit with mine. I boiled them for about an hour, and soaked them a couple of days, and didn't have to weigh them down. Of course, it's a bit hard to boil roots when they're in the tank already :wacky:

Thanks you guys :D yes the 60p gives a lot of options while stil being relatively economical and easy to maintain. My Buces should arrive from Aquasabi tomorrow, so i'm really hoping the weekend has been kind to them ( they shipped thursday), after that i only need to add some Hygrophila pinnatifida on the left rocks and then I think I'll be satisfied for now.
Anyways started dosing a little bit og Tropica Premium 3 days ago - although I probably should have waited since algea has now really started to show up, and NO2 is still way to high for a full on Amano-shrimp invasion unfortunately.

Day18 btw:
dag18.JPG

Last edited:
Day 20:
Took a leap of faith and removed the weightstone keeping the redmore down - fortunately only small movement, but its definitely still on the light and floaty side, so really hoping it stays in place O:
Thread algea seems to be all over the place, and im not really sure whether to start dosing nutrients or not?
dag20.JPG

Day24:
Did my first trim yesterday - the Riccia, HC and stems are all growing nicely.
On a not so bright side; everything seems to be algae algae algae at the moment ): I know its part of the game, but this being my first dedicated planted tank I just feel stupid for making the mistake of not starting to dose ferts until week 3 - since this was the recommendation from Tropica. I've added some Amano to help and have now started to dose both micro and macro ferts from Tropica, also im throwing some Easycarbo in the mix, just to get things going hopefully. I'm still doing waterchange every 3-4 days, and im hoping my efforts over time will fight back the algae.
dag24.2.JPG
dag24.4.JPG
dag24.5.JPG
dag24.6.JPG
dag24.JPG

Day35:

So last Saturday i received my parcel from Aquasabi. I had ordered some Lilly pipes from Cal Aqua Labs, along with a new diffuser "the neo", that was recommended by an other user here on Ukaps, along with new a bubble counter.
dag35.1.JPG

Unfortunately - it had received the "black mark" ( the DHL stamp) and as for the last 3 packages I have received through DHL something was smashed, regardless of highly qualified packaging and being marked af "fragile":
dag35.2.JPG
The good guys at Aquasabi made sure to send me a replacement the following monday though, no problem.

This did however set me back a couple of days, since i was planing on adding some Otocats from another tank, but were afraid of them being caught in the JBL standard inflow.

yesterday I did made the decision however to add some anyway - since the Rotala has grown so dense around the inflow, along with a pair of Longfin GBR.
The algae is slowly disappearing as I started to fert with Tropica Premium and Specialized on a daily basis, along with the addition of liquid carbo.
dag35.4.JPG

dag35.3.JPG
dag35.JPG
The decrease in surface movement has also meant that im now only using half the amount of co2 for the same result, while still maintaining an decent flow
dag35.5.JPG

So its been a couple of days since my last update - as some might have noticed in my other threads I've been combating algae and trying to get the fert dosing right. With a lot of help by users on this forum I think I've found the sweet spot - a big shout out to everyone contributing and especially Paulo for helping me with the dosing. Turns out that dimming the lights further and dosing 4X Tropica Specialized seems to be just right at the moment. I did a major trim, added some Pinatifida and more Fissidens insted of some of the Riccia and now the Algea is almost gone, such a great feeling :)
P1010100.JPG

Back