ADA Amazonia mixed with Tropica plant growth substrate

Discussion in 'Substrates' started by MrHidley, 28 Apr 2015.

1. MrHidley

MrHidley Member

So it's almost time for me to start a new scape. I dried out my old ADA Amazonia from my first tank, however I had been using Tropica's plant growth substrate beneath it, and in the process of emptying the tank and drying it out, it all got mixed together. Firstly, should i separate them before adding them to a new tank(is that even going to be possible?). If i can't I had planned to use it as a base layer in the new tank and then cap it with new Amazonia. Or should i just bin it? I don't want it to turn my tank into a cloudy mess.

Thanks,

James

2. Ryan Thang To

Ryan Thang To Member

Yes and no lol

If i was going to use the old ada soil i would siphon out most of it and leave half a inches above the tropica soil and then replace it with new tropica on your next scape. I hope that helps.

oh my bad i didn't read the thread property. You can use a fine fish net so all the dust can drop off but i would do it alot or else it would be very murky. You can always set it up and let it settle and siphon the bottom off

Cheers
    Ryan

3. MrHidley

MrHidley Member

Yeah, I really wish I had siphoned it, that was probably a mistake...

4. Stu Worrall

Stu Worrall Forum Moderator Staff Member

I'd use it but make sure its capped as the tropica substrate will cloud if it gets into the water column. As above I usuallly scoop off the top layer of amazonia to dry, sieve and re use and bin the bottom layer. then I use new tropica susbstrate the next time.

5. MrHidley

MrHidley Member

OK thanks, I shall probably just use it as a base layer. Unfortunately I'm not entirely happy with having to purchase new ada powder, so on a related note, do you think a monte carlo carpet will be do-able on regular grain amazonia?

6. Stu Worrall

Stu Worrall Forum Moderator Staff Member

It's always easier in powder but will be fine in normal. Just be prepared to replant a few floaters :)

7. MrHidley

MrHidley Member

Excellent, thanks for your help :)

Stu Worrall likes this.