• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ADA filters LPH

Aquarium hope

Seedling
I was looking at the superjet filters that ADA make and was wondering why their flow rates are so much lower than the recommended amount for the tanks that ADA pairs them with.

For instance the ES-600 is rated at 330 litres per hour but is recommended up to the ADA tank 90P (182L). From my understanding, that is less than 2X turnover which is woefully less than the recommended 10X, in fact it only provides around 5X from the lowest size it recommends for the filter (60P - 62L). Is there something special going on with these filters which justifies the cost over something like a fluval or eheim canister? From the looks of it, it appears to be just another pressure rated pump ontop of a bucket.

1) ADA filters should be delivering the advertised flow rates (re components and design)

2) ADA has never embraced the 10X turnover “rule”

(none of my tanks have anywhere near that sort of turnover, 2-4X is adequate IF flow is “good” ... you’ll see the same if you look at Tropica Inspiration aquascapes, Filipe Oliveira aquascapes, and many others :) )

As Alto says its not all about turnover (filter output to tank size) its about the flow you yield and manufacturers lie about their outputs, hence the x10 guidance came about as a way to compensate for the mis-information.

ADA products are in a field/price of their own, plus they do have the complete product line-up and results to boot :cigar:

I wouldn't use those filters at those recommended sizes without powerheads unless you are happy to clean algae everyday or are very experienced in layout to mitigate flow issues. I'm sure ADA have a legion of staff to clean their tanks in their showroom multiple times a day which helps :).

The 10X rule is a safety net to counteract nutrient imbalance in pockets of the tank and would try to stick to it as much as possible unless very experienced, it accounts for the around 1/3 drop in efficiency when filters are filled with gunk (manufacturers measure with an empty canister) but that would still serve as a 6-7X flow not 2 or 5. Experienced aquascapers can of course make it work with lower but imo not worth the risk.

Last edited:
Eheim measures flow and backpressure effects in their filter performance tests :)

I have minimal to no visible algae in my scapes and have never had more than 4X theoretical flow (though I do mostly use Eheim canister filters) ... and I’m not unique ;)

My first planted tank - minimal algae - was with Fluval/Hagen Tropiquariums (decent lighting with the twin fluorescents, and stock BioLife filters), stock Juwel Rio and Vision tanks (I did select the dual fluorescent lights option) are also very capable of producing rather nice, minimal algae planted tanks
(my grandmother was a fantastic gardner :p )

I’ve seen many high flow (that 10X “rule”) planted tanks with extraordinary algae :eek:

Green Aqua have low filter output and very high light and tanks only get cleaned once a week. Their tanks are amazing more so if you visit :eek:.

I am a big fan of high flow rates with my main tank having well over x10 flow, more flow makes for less maintenance. I would always advise aiming for x10 filter output to tank size esp for new folk to the hobby.

Professionals mange with less than x10 so do others and 'What one person can do so can another' :thumbup:

Other factors seem to make a difference too, like hard water as most professionals use soft water or RO/water mixes in their scapes ;).

Having a variable powerhead like a Maxspect Gyre enables you to ignore the filter output use the simplest of outlets for the filter generating very low flow in the tank, Have the Gyres on a schedule of varying speeds, love my Gyres XF330 x2 9000lph each so 18000LPH plus FX6 2000-3000LPH so call it 20,000LPH, tank is 500l so when on full x40 output to tank size

I'm not sure that the smaller ADA models (Superjet 150 and 300) have the same Iwaki high pressure pumps as the bigger models. Also they come with the Spin Pipe outlets which are designed to reduce flow even more for the ADA mini tanks. I find that the high flow from a jet pipe type outlet works well for me.

I guess it depends on the plants and complexity as well, ADA does use more lights on their scapes with the bigger more compact carpets but also tend to use two filters for these to increase flow. Somewhat counterintuitively they recommend placing the two outlets on opposite sides of the tank, I guess this increases downwards flow in the middle?

I think it's just important to remember that unless you are extremely experienced and/or are happy to clean/water change multiple times a week adding more flow just helps mitigate issues down the line. Even George Farmer strongly recommends 10x+ flow in his aquascaping videos.

Somewhat counterintuitively they recommend placing the two outlets on opposite sides of the tank,
Traditional filter outlet placement, with outlets diagonal rather than same side
(there are old discussions, flow diagrams, videos etc if you’re inclined to search them out)

I believe Green Aqua covers this in one of their videos

like hard water
I suspect this is a significant factor ... go back in time when Tropica etc provided recommended temp, pH, hardness details, and, the oft mentioned “plants prefer softer water” (which is not the same as plants don’t grow well in harder water)

I’ve not dealt with hard tap water, present tap is very soft, previous tap ranged 200 - 350 seasonal TDS (and enough general hardness that every shop abounded with descaling solutions ;)) but pH ~7.0

OTOH I’ve seen plenty of local setups that grow tremendous algae :confused:

Both Jurijs mit JS and Green Aqua have commented that they prefer client tanks to run on RO water (+ minerals) as more consistent and fewer algae issues

Even George Farmer strongly recommends 10x+ flow in his aquascaping videos.

Yes and on his Evolution Aqua Aquascaper 1200 Aquarium 300Litres he had two JBL CristalProfi e1501 which do 1400LPH so about x10, however he took on off so its running on one so x5 ;)

I've asked him what filter he has on it ATM to confirm
Here on his channel under comments

Back