• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ada gallery tanks - low flow, co2 bubbles stright to surface

fourmations

hi all

i have been watching a clip of amano showroom in niigita
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xjV6_3Xgoc

you can see from the first few tanks
that they seem to have very little flow
and the co2 just goes straight to the surface

any thoughts on this,
it goes against the general advice given

is it just an aesthetic thing for the show tanks?

regards

There are a few considerations to take into account:

- ADA tanks although the specs may suggest otherwise use low light!!! The ones Tom Barr measured on display at AFA were 50 Par at the substrate and 150 par at the water surface. This is equivalent to 1 x full length T5HO!!! This of course reduces CO2/nutrient usage. Amano himself says he uses low light so forget the old 'fitch family article' which suggests silly lighting levels are used. They are based on W not light.

- High flow doesn't mean plants swaying and the surface rippling. Those tanks may have heavy filtration and the Lily pipes as low as they can go.

- I would guess that there are people in the gallery that keep the tanks in tip top condition on a permanent basis. Cleaning glass etc. I doubt they are left alone anything like the amount of time we do ours ;)

There will be more things to consider of course.

AC

All good points from Andy.

I have heard that there's a maintenance team working every evening ensuring that every tank is immaculate for the opening the following morning. Makes perfect sense to me and it's what I'd do if I were in charge.

I'm guessing that it won't actually take that long - little and often is better than large infrenquent overhauls.

George Farmer said:
.....little and often is better than large infrenquent overhauls.

Amen to that. My change of lifestyle means that I only get to dip my hands in on rare occassions and as such, my tanks are just not up to scratch, like they were during my brief period of single life.

The Amano tanks will be picked at all the time.

Dave.

This is a bit off-topic, but you know in the gallery? Is every aquascape by Amano himself?

rawr said:
This is a bit off-topic, but you know in the gallery? Is every aquascape by Amano himself?

nah, he called me in to do them :lol:
he hasn't a clue!

They use soft water and water softenizers too as i know.
Because of this the glasses can look better than the regular ones.

Based on this:
http://www.adana.co.jp/_e_gallery/
They are only open on the weekends. So til we just do our daily work, their team wax and polish these tanks for 5 days :lol:

I think most of the scapes are by Amano, with some done by Amano's Grasshoppers.

I've always suspected they use alternative filtration to their stock ADA filters, which are then used for show during gallery open hours. I'm guessing co2 is also added by other means, with diffusers for show.

When one of us goes we'll have to break house rules and have a jolly good poke about! :lol:

JamesM said:
I've always suspected they use alternative filtration to their stock ADA filters, which are then used for show during gallery open hours. I'm guessing co2 is also added by other means, with diffusers for show.

When one of us goes we'll have to break house rules and have a jolly good poke about! :lol:

Nah I think they are basically as you see. As Mark will tell you I have my diffuser about same height. I think George does too. However I would suspect George and I both have much higher PAR than these.

I think its a question of light meaning he doesn't need so much diffused.

Also remember to get a 'beautiful' spread around a disc can mean much higher bps than needed. If this is the case it is sensible to lose some :)

AC

Back