• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ADA Green Brighty Step 1; worth it?

NeilW

Next week I was planning to flood my currently emmersed setup and was going to just use TPN+, but I saw Aqua Essentials had half price ADA gear and wondered wether Green Brighty Step 1 was a better option for the first couple of months?
Thanks,
Neil

ADA Step 1 is essentially just trace nutrients, so if you wanted to follow this way of thinking (starting with trace for first 3 months) then you could either go with Step 1 or something like Tropica TPN (not TPN+) or EI trace mix. Many would say you're fine to just use a full on fertiliser from the start, as long as you're keeping up with your maintenance.

I think one of the most important things is regular water changes in the first few weeks, and beyond. Some do daily, some do 3 a week but you have to do it pretty regular to avoid the dreaded algae monster and give everything a good chance of getting going :)

SteveUK said:
Many would say you're fine to just use a full on fertiliser from the start, as long as you're keeping up with your maintenance.

I think one of the most important things is regular water changes in the first few weeks, and beyond. Some do daily, some do 3 a week but you have to do it pretty regular to avoid the dreaded algae monster and give everything a good chance of getting going :)

Thanks for that, it was just an added 'luxury' I thought I may need whilst it was on the cheap. What sort of percentage of water should I go for taking out each time? 50% or would 30% be ok?

JamesM said:
I'd skip the costs and go with dry powders from day 1.

The cost isn't much as its only for a nano and I've already got the TPN+

Hi NeilW

I would opt for at least 50% water change as a minimum, to get rid of as much ammonia producing stuff as you can or you'll be staring at a tank full of algae in no time ;) .

Chris

It's going to depend a lot on your setup, and whether you're starting from scratch, or with "live" filters from another setup. But yes, a 50% water change on a regular basis isn't a bad thing!

dont forget though....it's half price! it's better than full price eh? especially when ADA ferts are lean in there contents.

chrisr01 said:
Hi NeilW

I would opt for at least 50% water change as a minimum, to get rid of as much ammonia producing stuff as you can or you'll be staring at a tank full of algae in no time ;) .

Chris
SteveUK said:
It's going to depend a lot on your setup, and whether you're starting from scratch, or with "live" filters from another setup. But yes, a 50% water change on a regular basis isn't a bad thing!

50% it is! I was going to use a filter from a previous setup and I've also been running the tank emmersed for about 4 weeks so the soil should be cycled as well. I am worried about any trace ammonia however as I've got CRS.

saintly said:
dont forget though....it's half price! it's better than full price eh? especially when ADA ferts are lean in there contents.

I've just taken advantage of the half price with a very nice ADA glass inlet, sadly they didn't have the outlet :(

NeilW said:
Next week I was planning to flood my currently emmersed setup and was going to just use TPN+, but I saw Aqua Essentials had half price ADA gear and wondered wether Green Brighty Step 1 was a better option for the first couple of months?
Thanks,
Neil

I'd say go for it :D

Back