• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ADA Light screen

Want some?

• Not a chance

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • Want!

Votes: 18 50.0%

• Total voters
No, when you edge-light perspex sheet, you project the light inside from an edge - internal reflections distribute the light throughout the sheet, as you can see with the image of the ADA one above, I'll try it both ways when I get the sheet though.
Cool :) I did look at these but didn't want to drop £30+ to experiment. 4mm Chinese led strip with wifi/Alexa etc should work well

Cool :) I did look at these but didn't want to drop £30+ to experiment. 4mm Chinese led strip with wifi/Alexa etc should work well

Yeah, I'm searching for an RGB kit, as being able to control the colours would allow further experimentation. For example, I'm wondering whether having two separate LED strips top and bottom, would allow adjustable colour transitions without needing the pre-printed films.

Yeah, I'm searching for an RGB kit, as being able to control the colours would allow further experimentation. For example, I'm wondering whether having two separate LED strips top and bottom, would allow adjustable colour transitions without needing the pre-printed films.
yeah it could do, you could have different colour on bottom led and top led, but this would also need 2 controllers. Fortunately the rgb led kits are only about £15 and work well

No, when you edge-light perspex sheet, you project the light inside from an edge - internal reflections distribute the light throughout the sheet, as you can see with the image of the ADA one above, I'll try it both ways when I get the
In a clear sheet, the light is distributed, but only visible at the edges, or on the face if etched, to cause refraction. I suspect the ADA screen uses a diffuser and/or reflector similar to that in an LCD TFT to get the backlighting effect from and edge source, reflecting light towards the viewpoint. Some info here

https://pid.samsungdisplay.com/en/learning-center/blog/lcd-structure

Last edited:
being soft silicone
IT's better if it's a luminium or similar as silicone wouldn't help with heat dissipation from the LED, which could reduce it's life.

In a clear sheet, the light is distributed, but only visible at the edges, or on the face if etched, to cause refraction. I suspect the ADA screen uses a diffuser and/or reflector similar to that in an LCD TFT to get the backlighting effect from and edge source, reflecting light towards the viewpoint. Some info here

https://pid.samsungdisplay.com/en/learning-center/blog/lcd-structure

Very true on a clear sheet, but when the sheet is opaque I suspect the whole sheet will illuminate,

My sheets arrive tomorrow, so I’ll test it and post up the results.

I'm fairly certain it's basically just LED light sheet. It's used a lot in shops (remember being allowed to go to those?) and is basically acrylic with a fine grid routed in and led down one edge.
https://www.addlux.com/solutions/led-light-sheet/

Could be, but I think you’d sheet the grid structure in Andrew’s under-exposed images above if that were the case.

As I say though, I get the opaque acrylic sheets tomorrow, so I can test then.

Looks like you guys were right, I was wrong on this - it hasn’t worked:

8B1F262F-187B-4BED-8F2C-3DF836EBB9A8.jpeg

Only the first inch or so illuminates.

If I shine the light behind the panel, it all illuminates, but not strongly enough to work on the back of a fully lit tank:

FE8828D0-72B0-4389-9621-2C672C78A0ED.jpeg

So back to the drawing board. I may try and source some of the light sheet @mrhoyo suggests above.

I also have some clear acrylic in the garage so I’ll try that with the face sanded also.

Looks like you guys were right, I was wrong on this - it hasn’t worked:

View attachment 156189

Only the first inch or so illuminates.

If I shine the light behind the panel, it all illuminates, but not strongly enough to work on the back of a fully lit tank:

View attachment 156190

So back to the drawing board. I may try and source some of the light sheet @mrhoyo suggests above.

I also have some clear acrylic in the garage so I’ll try that with the face sanded also.

It should work I had a topper for one of my old pinball machines. And that had a laser etched design in the middle and just a strip of leds along the bottom. The edges and design lit up. I also made a mod for the same machine using acrylic that I had sanded one side with fine paper to give it a frosted look and the whole piece would glow

It should work I had a topper for one of my old pinball machines. And that had a laser etched design in the middle and just a strip of leds along the bottom. The edges and design lit up. I also made a mod for the same machine using acrylic that I had sanded one side with fine paper to give it a frosted look and the whole piece would glow

Maybe my LED strip isn’t bright enough then - it is about 6 years old.

Back