• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ADA soils

mfcphil

Keep reading conflicting threads about ADA Amazonia.

I have ordered a couple of bags and was intending to swap the coral substrate in my tank with this.
What I was going to do was keep the original water is large buckets keeping the fish in one bucket with a heater in it while I replaced the old substrate with the new.

Now some posts are saying this will be ok and other are saying the new added ammonia will harm my fish.

Can someone advise me if what I intend to do will be ok :?

Hi,
Just go for it and monitor the ammonia levels. If the levels rise then just increase the frequency and amount of your water changes. The more plants you have in the tank the less problematic this will be.

Cheers,

Whilst it is not something I would try personally, I think it has been done before (Ed Seeley?). Hammer the water changes for a while would be my advice, and make sure your plants are at maximum turbo growth. Try adding some Zeolite to the filter, too.

Dave.

Thanks for your help....will adding the amazonia dramatically change the saved water that I am putting back into the tank?

mfcphil said:
Thanks for your help....will adding the amazonia dramatically change the saved water that I am putting back into the tank?
Like ceg said just keep up the water changes and you will be fine, I don't think you will need much of the old water anyway, I wouldn't use more than 20-30% from the old tank. As long you got the normal Amazonia and not Amazonia II you will be fine ;)

I thought if I wanted to add the fish back into the tank straight away I would have to keep about 50% of the water...as if I was doing a weekly change.

No, you don't. There is no universal law about the amount of water you need to save. As long as you add clean water, at the correct temperature, the volume doesn't matter.

Cheers,

I did it and kept the fish in a QT initially but never measured and ammonia or nitrite spike so added the fish back after 2 days! With a large mature filter and large daily water changes then you should be fine. I'd save as much water as possible when doing this to reduce the changes to the fish, but you certainly won't need to save more than 50%.

I removed my old substrate and replaced with around 14 bags of Amazonia in my 720 litre.

All livestock including shrimp went into my spare 125 litre for the next week.

I refilled the tank with tap water and used the original filter media.

I changed 50 % of the water twice of the next week, replanted and put all the livestock, no losses.

Haven't looked back since. ;)

Thats great but alas I dont have a massive spare tank to store things while the water sorts itself out :( I know in the long run what I am doing now will be of a great benifit but I am just worried about losing my beautiful fish.

Well my Amozonia arrived today but when it turned up it was Amozonia 2 will I be ok using this?

I thought this was for harder water or something...know I read about it somewhere.

mfcphil said:
Well my Amozonia arrived today but when it turned up it was Amozonia 2 will I be ok using this?
I thought this was for harder water or something...know I read about it somewhere.
Get it exchanged for normal Amazonia, I have this in one tank and its given me endless problems, it also breaks down very quickly and turns to dust. Personally I would not recommend version 2 of this soil.

oh dear I have just finished changing the substrate....out with the old in with the new...fingers crossed its ok!!

Had a mad day on Saturday one of my gold rams and both my balloon rams had hidden themselves somewhere in the tank.
When I found them they were at the very bottom of the tank gasping.... I dashed and changed 50% of the water.
I only have the tetra 6 in 1 test kit and that was saying things were ok.
Fish were saying something else...they didn't make SUNDAY :(

To be honest I did not check the water the day it happened I was too busy trying to get the water out as quick as I could.

My black neon’s are fine as are the Otto’s I even have a gold ram, which looks perfectly well.

Think it must have been an ammonia spike.

Done daily water changes for the last three days to be on the safe side.

Get some replacement fish at the weekend.

Going to leave the very temperamental Rams alone....taking suggestion for some tank mates!!

Back