• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

ADA Solar 1

Dan Crawford

Founder
Staff member
Thread starter
Joined
21 Jun 2007
Messages
3,265
Location
Daventry, Northants
glenn said:
features a slow start up to prevent shocking livestock
this is a intresting idea. how slow is it to get to full strenght dan?
and how long is the unit, i cant beleive how much light it kicks out for such a short length! :wideyed: its a beautifull light anyway, i hope you enjoy it :thumbup:
Hi mate, the entire unit is about 350mm long and the lamp is 150w.

The start up is very good and takes about a minute to get to full strength, i was flapping the first time i started it up coz it goes from yellow to blue :wideyed: but then settles on a bright white 8) My previous Aqua One did a lot of flickering at the start and took an age to get to temperature but i recon it had about had it, thats the main reason i changed.
 

Dave Spencer

Member
Joined
3 Jul 2007
Messages
1,389
Location
N. Wales
I hope that wasn`t the light unit I was looking at in TGM, otherwise it will be covered in drool.

That is some top notch clobber Dan, and I look forward to seeing it at Hallowe`en. I was going to get an 90cm ADA set up for myself as treat for working long hours, but I have to waste my money on solicitors` fees and stamp duty etc. :arghh:

Dude, it is your money and your hobby. Buy what the hell you want. ;)

Dave. :D
 

samc

Member
Joined
28 Oct 2008
Messages
1,381
sweet light mate.

i was put off these due to the high power consumption but i worked it out on an internet calculator and its about £5 a month to run so thats nothing.

looking at the great success mark had with his i am going to save up for one. not to say that marks light did it all. far from it, but he seemed impressed and they look great. especially an ADA one :D
 

Dan Crawford

Founder
Staff member
Thread starter
Joined
21 Jun 2007
Messages
3,265
Location
Daventry, Northants
samc said:
sweet light mate.

i was put off these due to the high power consumption but i worked it out on an internet calculator and its about £5 a month to run so thats nothing.

looking at the great success mark had with his i am going to save up for one. not to say that marks light did it all. far from it, but he seemed impressed and they look great. especially an ADA one :D
Do it do it do it, you won't be disappointed i promise! Even folks who don't appreciate my weird obsession with all things aquatic think it's awesome, most people have commented on the colour rendition of the NA Green tube, more so than the sleek look of the unit it's self!

The cost in theory is the same as my previous one so in not too bothered really, kinda used to it, like you say £5 per month is ok. On the other hand, my pond filter cost £1 a day to run so that soon went off :lol:

Dave Spencer said:
I hope that wasn`t the light unit I was looking at in TGM, otherwise it will be covered in drool.

That is some top notch clobber Dan, and I look forward to seeing it at Hallowe`en. I was going to get an 90cm ADA set up for myself as treat for working long hours, but I have to waste my money on solicitors` fees and stamp duty etc. :arghh:

Dude, it is your money and your hobby. Buy what the hell you want. ;)

Dave. :D

Definitely some drool pal, got discount because of that :lol:
I know the game pal, such a shame when the solicitors whip it all off ya, divorce hit me hard :(
 

George Farmer

Founder
Staff member
Joined
30 Jun 2007
Messages
7,080
Location
Cambridgeshire
Dan Crawford said:
.... most people have commented on the colour rendition of the NA Green tube, more so than the sleek look of the unit it's self!
So the Solar I comes supplied with the NA-Green bulb? Swish! 8)
 

Dan Crawford

Founder
Staff member
Thread starter
Joined
21 Jun 2007
Messages
3,265
Location
Daventry, Northants
George Farmer said:
Dan Crawford said:
.... most people have commented on the colour rendition of the NA Green tube, more so than the sleek look of the unit it's self!
So the Solar I comes supplied with the NA-Green bulb? Swish! 8)
Evidently, you get what you pay for i suppose.
 

Dan Crawford

Founder
Staff member
Thread starter
Joined
21 Jun 2007
Messages
3,265
Location
Daventry, Northants
stuworrall said:
theres two versions of it isnt there? the one with the "1" on the end of the product code has the green lamp.
Oh is that right? I didn't know that dude, where on God's green Earth did you find that out? LOL
 

Stu Worrall

Global Moderator
Staff member
Joined
7 Sep 2008
Messages
1,986
Location
Flintshire, North Wales
Dan Crawford said:
stuworrall said:
theres two versions of it isnt there? the one with the "1" on the end of the product code has the green lamp.
Oh is that right? I didn't know that dude, where on God's green Earth did you find that out? LOL
its in the catalogue that I sadly poor over nightly for ideas for my new tank :lol:

[url:10rn8ywf]http://www.adana.co.jp/_e_product/6_index.html[/url] said:
108-047 with NAMH-150W Lamp
108-0471 with NAG-150W Green Lamp
108-049 with 10,000K Lamp
108-050 with Blue Light Lamp
 

Dan Crawford

Founder
Staff member
Thread starter
Joined
21 Jun 2007
Messages
3,265
Location
Daventry, Northants
stuworrall said:
its in the catalogue that I sadly poor over nightly for ideas for my new tank :lol:
Ah ha, a master and his tools hey. I can see it now - the kids on the floor franticly riffling through the Christmas Argos book getting all sorts of excited, "WOW, look at this, can i have one of these please?" and you doing exactly the same with the ADA catalogue in hand :lol:
 

andyh

Member
Joined
1 Jan 2009
Messages
1,921
Location
Derby
Dan Crawford said:
stuworrall said:
its in the catalogue that I sadly poor over nightly for ideas for my new tank :lol:
Ah ha, a master and his tools hey. I can see it now - the kids on the floor franticly riffling through the Christmas Argos book getting all sorts of excited, "WOW, look at this, can i have one of these please?" and you doing exactly the same with the ADA catalogue in hand :lol:

You could be describing me there! I spend hours drooling over my ADA catalogues dreaming of shiny things! :geek:
 

andyh

Member
Joined
1 Jan 2009
Messages
1,921
Location
Derby
Dan

Thanks for the link to this! Great journal especially for somebody considering this light fitting! Just got to sell the wife to pay for it :shh:
 

Stu Worrall

Global Moderator
Staff member
Joined
7 Sep 2008
Messages
1,986
Location
Flintshire, North Wales
andyh said:
Dan

Thanks for the link to this! Great journal especially for somebody considering this light fitting! Just got to sell the wife to pay for it :shh:
:lol: sell a kidney, you should get a bit for one of them. mine just about covered it!
 

plantbrain

Expert
Joined
2 Aug 2007
Messages
1,946
The fixture does look nice, good design, the ballast? Well, let's just say they did not go all out there.
A high grade electronic ballast replacement should yield 40-50% increase in PAR FYI.
Since this ballast is not seen, the aesthetics does not matter.
They do not sell just the fixture however.

Regards,
Tom Barr
 

andyh

Member
Joined
1 Jan 2009
Messages
1,921
Location
Derby
plantbrain said:
The fixture does look nice, good design, the ballast? Well, let's just say they did not go all out there.
A high grade electronic ballast replacement should yield 40-50% increase in PAR FYI.
Since this ballast is not seen, the aesthetics does not matter.
They do not sell just the fixture however.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom,

Interesting what you say about the ballast, as over here in the UK the importer (TGM) leads me to believe they have sourced their own UK specific Ballasts now. I am keen to understand what makes a good ballast as if what you say is true and i dont doubt it for a second, an increase of 40-50% in PAR has got to be a benefit. :thumbup:

In my opinion were a lot of the other manufacturers fall down is on the aesthetics, they could do so much more in terms of visual impact instead of what they currently produce. The Aquascaping market for me encompasses many things, style/aesthetics being a strong part of the mix. This is were few are successful :geek:

Andyh
 

dw1305

Expert
Staff member
Joined
7 Apr 2008
Messages
11,494
Location
nr Bath
Hi all,
Tom is right the new electronic ballasts for discharge lights are much more efficient than the old magnetic ones, it says in the blurb it is an electronic ballast (or is this just the Grand solar range?), maybe Tom can give details of the ballast it has fitted?, it should be pretty easy to swap it for a better one. A thought occurs that it might be a "generic ballast", rather than one specifically designed for a 150W MH?

The only down side is that I've only had one magnetic ballast failure (I've had MV (moth trap) and SON-T (grow light) luminaires for over 20 years), but a couple of electronic ballasts have failed, so it is probably a good idea to keep away from the very cheap ones.

cheers Darrel
 
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
G ADA Solar I Lighting 5
N light leakage in room with solar rgb Lighting 0

Similar threads

Top