• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ADA Solar 1

glenn said:
features a slow start up to prevent shocking livestock
this is a intresting idea. how slow is it to get to full strenght dan?
and how long is the unit, i cant beleive how much light it kicks out for such a short length! :wideyed: its a beautifull light anyway, i hope you enjoy it :thumbup:
Hi mate, the entire unit is about 350mm long and the lamp is 150w.

The start up is very good and takes about a minute to get to full strength, i was flapping the first time i started it up coz it goes from yellow to blue :wideyed: but then settles on a bright white 8) My previous Aqua One did a lot of flickering at the start and took an age to get to temperature but i recon it had about had it, thats the main reason i changed.

I hope that wasn`t the light unit I was looking at in TGM, otherwise it will be covered in drool.

That is some top notch clobber Dan, and I look forward to seeing it at Hallowe`en. I was going to get an 90cm ADA set up for myself as treat for working long hours, but I have to waste my money on solicitors` fees and stamp duty etc. :arghh:

Dude, it is your money and your hobby. Buy what the hell you want. ;)

Dave. :D

sweet light mate.

i was put off these due to the high power consumption but i worked it out on an internet calculator and its about £5 a month to run so thats nothing.

looking at the great success mark had with his i am going to save up for one. not to say that marks light did it all. far from it, but he seemed impressed and they look great. especially an ADA one :D

samc said:
sweet light mate.

i was put off these due to the high power consumption but i worked it out on an internet calculator and its about £5 a month to run so thats nothing.

looking at the great success mark had with his i am going to save up for one. not to say that marks light did it all. far from it, but he seemed impressed and they look great. especially an ADA one :D
Do it do it do it, you won't be disappointed i promise! Even folks who don't appreciate my weird obsession with all things aquatic think it's awesome, most people have commented on the colour rendition of the NA Green tube, more so than the sleek look of the unit it's self!

The cost in theory is the same as my previous one so in not too bothered really, kinda used to it, like you say £5 per month is ok. On the other hand, my pond filter cost £1 a day to run so that soon went off :lol:

Dave Spencer said:
I hope that wasn`t the light unit I was looking at in TGM, otherwise it will be covered in drool.

That is some top notch clobber Dan, and I look forward to seeing it at Hallowe`en. I was going to get an 90cm ADA set up for myself as treat for working long hours, but I have to waste my money on solicitors` fees and stamp duty etc. :arghh:

Dude, it is your money and your hobby. Buy what the hell you want. ;)

Dave. :D

Definitely some drool pal, got discount because of that :lol:
I know the game pal, such a shame when the solicitors whip it all off ya, divorce hit me hard :(

George Farmer said:
Dan Crawford said:
.... most people have commented on the colour rendition of the NA Green tube, more so than the sleek look of the unit it's self!
So the Solar I comes supplied with the NA-Green bulb? Swish! 8)
Evidently, you get what you pay for i suppose.

stuworrall said:
theres two versions of it isnt there? the one with the "1" on the end of the product code has the green lamp.
Oh is that right? I didn't know that dude, where on God's green Earth did you find that out? LOL

Dan Crawford said:
stuworrall said:
theres two versions of it isnt there? the one with the "1" on the end of the product code has the green lamp.
Oh is that right? I didn't know that dude, where on God's green Earth did you find that out? LOL
its in the catalogue that I sadly poor over nightly for ideas for my new tank :lol:

[url:10rn8ywf]http://www.adana.co.jp/_e_product/6_index.html[/url] said:
108-047 with NAMH-150W Lamp
108-0471 with NAG-150W Green Lamp
108-049 with 10,000K Lamp
108-050 with Blue Light Lamp

stuworrall said:
its in the catalogue that I sadly poor over nightly for ideas for my new tank :lol:
Ah ha, a master and his tools hey. I can see it now - the kids on the floor franticly riffling through the Christmas Argos book getting all sorts of excited, "WOW, look at this, can i have one of these please?" and you doing exactly the same with the ADA catalogue in hand :lol:

Dan Crawford said:
stuworrall said:
Ah ha, a master and his tools hey. I can see it now - the kids on the floor franticly riffling through the Christmas Argos book getting all sorts of excited, "WOW, look at this, can i have one of these please?" and you doing exactly the same with the ADA catalogue in hand :lol:

You could be describing me there! I spend hours drooling over my ADA catalogues dreaming of shiny things! :geek:

Dan

Thanks for the link to this! Great journal especially for somebody considering this light fitting! Just got to sell the wife to pay for it :shh:

andyh said:
Dan

Thanks for the link to this! Great journal especially for somebody considering this light fitting! Just got to sell the wife to pay for it :shh:
:lol: sell a kidney, you should get a bit for one of them. mine just about covered it!

The fixture does look nice, good design, the ballast? Well, let's just say they did not go all out there.
A high grade electronic ballast replacement should yield 40-50% increase in PAR FYI.
Since this ballast is not seen, the aesthetics does not matter.
They do not sell just the fixture however.

Regards,
Tom Barr

plantbrain said:
The fixture does look nice, good design, the ballast? Well, let's just say they did not go all out there.
A high grade electronic ballast replacement should yield 40-50% increase in PAR FYI.
Since this ballast is not seen, the aesthetics does not matter.
They do not sell just the fixture however.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom,

Interesting what you say about the ballast, as over here in the UK the importer (TGM) leads me to believe they have sourced their own UK specific Ballasts now. I am keen to understand what makes a good ballast as if what you say is true and i dont doubt it for a second, an increase of 40-50% in PAR has got to be a benefit. :thumbup:

In my opinion were a lot of the other manufacturers fall down is on the aesthetics, they could do so much more in terms of visual impact instead of what they currently produce. The Aquascaping market for me encompasses many things, style/aesthetics being a strong part of the mix. This is were few are successful :geek:

Andyh

Hi all,
Tom is right the new electronic ballasts for discharge lights are much more efficient than the old magnetic ones, it says in the blurb it is an electronic ballast (or is this just the Grand solar range?), maybe Tom can give details of the ballast it has fitted?, it should be pretty easy to swap it for a better one. A thought occurs that it might be a "generic ballast", rather than one specifically designed for a 150W MH?

The only down side is that I've only had one magnetic ballast failure (I've had MV (moth trap) and SON-T (grow light) luminaires for over 20 years), but a couple of electronic ballasts have failed, so it is probably a good idea to keep away from the very cheap ones.

cheers Darrel

Back