• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ADA Terra Base

Hi all,
what do you reckon ?...
It should work OK, but I can't imagine how much they charge for the full set-up.
funny porous tube
Like that, I think that is right up there with Clive's immortal description of an external filter as a "pump in a bucket", it cuts straight to the chase.

You could DIY one from a <"terracotta wine cooler"> ("Evaporative clay pot cooler") or similar, which should cost about £10, but it wouldn't have an ADA label.

cheers Darrel

I think the concept is great (not at ADA prices though for essentially a lump of clay), I've explored the possibility of something like this before by going to a local potters club to make stuff for the aquarium or failing that taking things in to get fired, but they don't/can't use the black clay when I asked (needs different firing point to the beige stuff) and the amount of experimenting would get expensive in mixed firing situation so I looked at electric kilns for DIY, again not very cost effective for just having a go. I'm building a larger emerssed section in one of my 12L tanks for In-vitro Buce I have coming and am planning to do something similar to this in the corner but at a more modest scale (with a Nepenthes sitting in the top), currently testing Vicat Prompt to see how it gets on taking a dye (carbon black, messy stuff) and how bad it leaches (plotting the TDS rise over time). Have another test of coco fibre gorilla glued (urethane stuff, dyed with carbon black) to black PVC drainage pipe. Thankfully everything cured and has locked the carbon in place (one with black aquarium sand as aggregate and the other with coco soil as binder), they're sitting in RO at the mo to harden further, the TDS jumped 300 in an hour but that should bottom out over time as it cures (hopefully not too long).

:)

Beyond the money aspect... Not quite sure if it’s aesthetically pleasing and whether it’s creatively limiting.

Reckon Takashi Amano would have a few grumblings about it. Bit of a money maker.

But in Japan where living space is at a premium in urban sprawl I can see the merit in having a ‘tube’ of greenery. It’s a matter of context. In city living seeking out nature is a preoccupation most embody and can see this product satisfying those that want a middle ground between ikebana and the planted aquarium hobby in general.

If it doesn't take off then likely the next iteration of this product will be a nested solution using three identical tubes of the same size at four times the price. It'll need another glass enclosure to go in though which is likely the impetus for selling black clay wine coolers, I think someone in the boardroom found a way to sell more glass while getting tanked on sake out of a clay wine cooler. Could it be that simple?

:confused: no one is forcing you to buy ADA
or watch ADA videos
etc etc

but also remember not to seek inspiration from Takashi Amano aquascapes or photographs or anything associated with the ADA label

and definitely don’t bother with that over the top, expensive to set up, expensive to maintain, undoubtedly subsidized
Oceanário de Lisboa's (temporary) exhibition “Forests Underwater by Takashi Amano”
:rolleyes:

Always wanted to do this with orchids since i saw it done with old skool drainage pipes
cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

but i never found them here in the netherlands. ( stuff them at one end, fill with water and hang them in the greenhouse)

For me the shape is too uniform even after 3 months of growth.

Going TBRO's way with oasis means you can shape it to something more softer and organic to start with.

Nice idea for Japanese households.

Just wrap some driftwood around it for an uneven look.

Loads of interesting stuff on Pinterest about using Hygrolon to make mossy sculptures. I fancy giving it a go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got a reply back from the US distributor of ADA. They will have the Terra in stock in two months.
That's good to know Ed, for those in the US at least. Any idea how much it's going to retail for ?

Has anyone one of you ever had similar things in your office? Do you get alot of condensation inside the tank blocking view?

Would be great for the office though. Low maintenance.

Shrimp tank is better however.

Back