• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Adding external filter to running tank

Loumarley

Seedling
Just after a bit of advice

I currently have a a Superfish home 100 and run a Superfish 300 internal filter but I have noticed that the flow does not reach the other end of the tank. I was thinking of moving over to a oase 300 external filter.

Can I run this alongside my existing filter for a few weeks while the bacteria *relocates* to the external and then remove this or will this have a detrimental affect to the livestock and plants,

thanks in advance

Lou

Superfish home 100 and run a Superfish 300 internal filter but I have noticed that the flow does not reach the other end of the tank.

Ive got the home 40 and the flow out the filter is also poor. Partly because the pump output is low, partly because the plastic housing it sits in upsets the flow out the filter and makes it dissipate. Mine came with a comical 2" spray bar. You can pull the end cap off the spray bar and stick the bar into the filter outlet. The flow will then have a slight head start across the tank surface. I've cut the end obliquely with a Stanley knife and melted the end down a little to direct the flow. Its a modest improvement, and how I run mine currently. If you haven't bought your external yet it might be worth a go and see if it works for you.

I have no idea how George farmer kept a home 80 with co2 and got such good plant growth with the supplied equipment (it's on his YouTube channel). Is suspect having more talent than myself helps :)

Back