• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Adding more aqua soil after planting and filling the tank?

ForestDave

Hi.
Help, please!
I'm mid-scape and have just realized I didn't get enough soil. My scape design ended up being much taller than I originally planned. I have 37L of AS in a 39x98cm Roma 200 tank but probably need 1 more bag. How easy is it to add a top dressing of another bag after planting and flooding?
I'm using Dennerle Scapers soil and cannot get it locally.

I have done it with Tropica Soil in the past using a large cola pop bottle Cut tthe base off with a stanley knife. Take your water level right down and carefully add. Think Green Aqua do it a lot check their YT videos.

I have done it with Tropica Soil in the past using a large cola pop bottle Cut tthe base off with a stanley knife. Take your water level right down and carefully add. Think Green Aqua do it a lot check their YT videos.
Thanks Paraguay!
That’s great information!!

No. I couldn’t get hold of any locally. I’ve left a few areas either end a bit sparse and will order another bag and sort those bits out.
Got it planted anyway. Blimey that was hard work and stressful. Hats off to George and all you seasoned aquascaping pros, I’m a broken man now! 😂

Ah OK I see sorry. I've added more after planting, you'll need to up the water changes to siphoned the dust away and you'll be fine.

Ah OK I see sorry. I've added more after planting, you'll need to up the water changes to siphoned the dust away and you'll be fine.
Thanks!
I’ll be doing daily 50% for the first few weeks would you recommend more after adding more soil? 90%?

Photo?

It depends

If you make a mess or it’s quite cloudy after adding more soil, I recommend a continuous water change until water is sparkling clear - the plants won’t much care about the excessive water change, and depending on tap water dechlorination, add Prime etc at intervals, or just when the last clean water is in

If you don’t have extra hose needed for continuous water change, just perform large water changes until the tank looks clear ... of course, then, on that last water change, your tube will go mad and kick up the substrate and it will look worse than when you started
This is the time to have a few drinks
Then change more water

If you leave the tank with “dusty” water, in the morning that dust will often have settled out onto every plant leaf (this takes more effort to clean away and plants tend not to prefer a dust coating)

Thanks!
I’ll be doing daily 50% for the first few weeks would you recommend more after adding more soil? 90%?
As Alto says after you have added soil I would do several (as many as needed)running water changes to remove the cloudiness and dust from the water column, being careful not to disturb the substrate. The plants won't appreciate dust landing on their leaves. After you've removed all the dust from adding the extra soil 50% daily will be fine. 👍

Back