• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Adding sand

foxfish

I have recently moved the location of my tank from one side of the room to another.
The tank was emptied & the plants removed but the substrate was retained however I added a new top later of soil & sand.
Every thing was going fine until I added 5 corydoras - they are stirring up digging at the sand to the extent of clouding the whole tank, It looks like the tank is full of suspended matter.
I think the top layer of sand is to shallow & they are finding the under soil.
How can I add more sand without emptying the tank again?

foxfish said:
I have recently moved the location of my tank from one side of the room to another.
The tank was emptied & the plants removed but the substrate was retained however I added a new top later of soil & sand.
Every thing was going fine until I added 5 corydoras - they are stirring up digging at the sand to the extent of clouding the whole tank, It looks like the tank is full of suspended matter.
I think the top layer of sand is to shallow & they are finding the under soil.
How can I add more sand without emptying the tank again?

Well if you tip dry sand into the tank it will become cloudy - so wet the sand and make some tennis ball size of sand balls and pop them into the tank where ever you are short of depth of substrate or sand.

Regards
paul.

Maybe too late, but I found this worked for me.

Make sure your sand is well rinsed first to remove the majority of rubbish and dust.

Take a 2 litre coke bottle or similar and cut off the BOTTOM. put the lid on the bottle and fill it up with sand and tank water so that the sand is saturated. Place bottle in tank, upside down, and undo the lid. You can then use your thumb over the end of the bottle to start and stop the flow of sand, and you can direct it to where you want it :)

I have had success with rinsing the sand, and then placing it in a freezer bag. Then lower the bag into the aquarium and gently allow the sand to leave the bag a little at a time. I believe that sand being heavier,it will always work itself down into the soil and the soil ,work it's way to the top with the activity of fish ,and maint of substrate.

Back