• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Adding the first fish into a new tank

Manu

Hi,

It seems that everyone agrees on this forum that testing the water is useless as the tests are not accurate enough, giving false readings. So, how do you when it is safe to add fish into a brand new set up tank?
Sorry for what might seem like a stupid question, I'm new to this great hobby...

Thanks a lot for your help!

Manu

Well actually it's about the only time I do use a test kit. They may not be accurate but they will give you some indication of when a tank has cycled. My tanks usually cycle within a week or two. But even then it's important not to overload the system too soon, so take your time and fish gradually so it can keep apace with the increase in bioload.

Hi,

It seems that everyone agrees on this forum that testing the water is useless as the tests are not accurate enough, giving false readings. So, how do you when it is safe to add fish into a brand new set up tank?
Sorry for what might seem like a stupid question, I'm new to this great hobby...

Thanks a lot for your help!

Manu
Pls test, lots of info on fishforum.net or practical fishkeeping sites,

Also get a good testing kit, not one these all in one strip type things....

true most dont test and for good reason, however you will also notice that most people arent in any rush to add stock as we let the plants bed in for a number of weeks. In that time with a well planted tank you are safe to slowly start stocking normally with amano shrimp first.

Thanks a lot for your replies,
the tank has been running for nearly two weeks so I'll wait until mid June to add a few fish.
The plants seem to do very well so far.
I want to have only very small fish, would the glowing tetra be a good one to start with?
Also, I wish later to keep some rasbora brigittae but they don't seem to like too much flow, will that be a problem to keep those fish and get the co2 and ferts well spread around the tank?

Cheers!

The only tests I did/do before adding fish or shrimp in a new setup is for Nitrite (later pH and KH, but this is for testing if my CO2 levels are good). After e few weeks with enough (almost never enough) plants in your tank it should be safe to add your first few fish and slowly add more if you want.

Also get a good testing kit, not one these all in one strip type things....

this is a relative term, as "a good testing kit" available to the hobbyist is still pretty poor. Testing ammonia/nitrite/nitrate is useful to keep an eye on cycling but there is absolutely no need to test once the tank is running. Mostly people use it as a crutch to avoid water changes, as if the condition of your tank can be categorised by an approximate (and fallible!) reading of one single substance.

To the OP: I'm not sure about the rasboras but the tetras should be fine because they're mostly bred, rather than wild caught

The only tests I did/do before adding fish or shrimp in a new setup is for Nitrite (later pH and KH, but this is for testing if my CO2 levels are good). After e few weeks with enough (almost never enough) plants in your tank it should be safe to add your first few fish and slowly add more if you want.
Thanks for the advice, I'm checking the nitrite since two weeks and it looks like it's dropping and soon time to add a few fish
I'll wait another two weeks to be sure, don't want to kill any fish...
Cheers!

this is a relative term, as "a good testing kit" available to the hobbyist is still pretty poor. Testing ammonia/nitrite/nitrate is useful to keep an eye on cycling but there is absolutely no need to test once the tank is running. Mostly people use it as a crutch to avoid water changes, as if the condition of your tank can be categorised by an approximate (and fallible!) reading of one single substance.

To the OP: I'm not sure about the rasboras but the tetras should be fine because they're mostly bred, rather than wild caught

Thanks for your reply, keeping an eye on nitrite at the moment and it's going down

There's so many fish I like that I'm already thinking of starting another tank... I'll have to save up a bit though, and be patient

Back