• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Adventures in macro photography (pic heavy)

That’s my favourite spider, who doesn’t like a cute little jumping spider😀
I use The sigma 105 too. I can see you used a ring flash and can almost see your reflection. Do you shot manual focus? I tried the ring flash but got better results using an on camera flash with a home made defuser ( Pringles tube with thin white packing material) it really helps to tame the highlights. Looking forward to the summer so the little beasties come out to play. Nice images!

It's actually not a ringflash. The Canon EF-M 28mm has two diodes around the front element and it works quite well. Eats a lot of battery though. It's very visible on the Salticus big puppy eyes.
I believe both of these are with autofocus, but I'd have to check to be 100% ... Usually with the fast movers I have more luck with AF, but I try to switch it up.
Sigma 105mm is a great lens, and sure to stay in my selection, but right now I'm itching to try out the R7 and the RF100mm in the field. I had some good results with R7 and the Sigma last autumn, but have yet to try the 100, that I splurged for some months ago, for real.

Your freaking amazing at this @Fiske! ... can you do macro tank shots, if so please post?

Cheers,
Michael
Just a happy amateur, really.

I can, requires a bit of setup though. For some reason I've not done too many...

IMG_0313.JPG
IMG_0315.JPG
IMG_0317.JPG
IMG_0334.JPG

It's actually not a ringflash. The Canon EF-M 28mm has two diodes around the front element and it works quite well. Eats a lot of battery though. It's very visible on the Salticus big puppy eyes.
I believe both of these are with autofocus, but I'd have to check to be 100% ... Usually with the fast movers I have more luck with AF, but I try to switch it up.
Sigma 105mm is a great lens, and sure to stay in my selection, but right now I'm itching to try out the R7 and the RF100mm in the field. I had some good results with R7 and the Sigma last autumn, but have yet to try the 100, that I splurged for some months ago, for real.
I just checked out the RF100mm, looks a nice bit of glass but way out of my budget.
i switched to Fuji a few years back, so i use the Sigma with an adapter and use manaul and the rocking back and forward malarkey😀
There are some good Canon Mirrorless out now, but I don’t think I could get one passed the wife😂

I just checked out the RF100mm, looks a nice bit of glass but way out of my budget.
i switched to Fuji a few years back, so i use the Sigma with an adapter and use manaul and the rocking back and forward malarkey😀
There are some good Canon Mirrorless out now, but I don’t think I could get one passed the wife😂
Just don't tell🤣
Frankly, if I hadn't got a nice end of year bonus I'd probably have needed to do some more self convincing. This is not the place where I should mention I'm eyeing up the RF 100-500mm (yes the L lens)😵😭 damn!

I haven't had much time with the RF100MM but so far it's looking to be a killer combo.

Just don't tell🤣
Frankly, if I hadn't got a nice end of year bonus I'd probably have needed to do some more self convincing. This is not the place where I should mention I'm eyeing up the RF 100-500mm (yes the L lens)😵😭 damn!

I haven't had much time with the RF100MM but so far it's looking to be a killer combo.
I wouldn’t have to tell as we have a joint account😟 I spent a fortune on Fuji gear but I now only buy second hand. Im always looking on MPB for stuff I can’t afford. The body prices drop like a stone but a good lens always holds its value. I went X-T1,
X-T2, X-T3 then HX-1. Till a had to have a word with myself😂 Its like this hobby, it’s a money pit😜 Anyway I look forward to seeing future shots with your new combo.

I wouldn’t have to tell as we have a joint account😟 I spent a fortune on Fuji gear but I now only buy second hand. Im always looking on MPB for stuff I can’t afford. The body prices drop like a stone but a good lens always holds its value. I went X-T1,
X-T2, X-T3 then HX-1. Till a had to have a word with myself😂 Its like this hobby, it’s a money pit😜 Anyway I look forward to seeing future shots with your new combo.
Wex are always worth a look for used gear, in my experience they are very accurate with the description of the item

Your freaking amazing at this @Fiske! ... can you do macro tank shots, if so please post?

Cheers,
Michael

Bit late, but there's a few macros in this post, if you haven't seen them.

Anyway, I have a few shots from the last year, and I'll post some up soon-ish. Season has started, just saw this years first bumblebee😛

Back