• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Advice chosing a Moss...

Vito

Hey everyone, my next scape is going to have some moss and I want to attach it to rocks, I want a tight/compact look as if a fin layer of lush green on a rock I have no Idea which to chose seems like there is an endless list, I will be using alot of co2 so it has to be able to cope with high levels, I've seen some pics of Mini Pellia (Riccardia sp) which looks interesting, can anyone recommend me something?

Vito said:
Hey everyone, my next scape is going to have some moss and I want to attach it to rocks, I want a tight/compact look as if a fin layer of lush green on a rock I have no Idea which to chose seems like there is an endless list, I will be using alot of co2 so it has to be able to cope with high levels, I've seen some pics of Mini Pellia (Riccardia sp) which looks interesting, can anyone recommend me something?

Pellia looks great I have some in my tank, looks more like seaweed than moss though! I also have Fissidens Fontanus, you can check the last pages of my shrimp journal, I am using mine as a carpet, but it will attach to rocks and wood eventually.

The mosses you have many to choose from, one that I have seen lately and like the way it looks is worm moss. Weeping moss also grows nicely on rocks. I haven't used many yet so I can only recommend what I have tried.

LondonDragon said:
Pellia looks great I have some in my tank, looks more like seaweed than moss though! I also have Fissidens Fontanus, you can check the last pages of my shrimp journal, I am using mine as a carpet, but it will attach to rocks and wood eventually.

The mosses you have many to choose from, one that I have seen lately and like the way it looks is worm moss. Weeping moss also grows nicely on rocks. I haven't used many yet so I can only recommend what I have tried.
The mosses look great mate and Its good to see a clear pic of what they grow into and stuff, I think the fissedens is the one for me, do you know where I can buy some?

Vito said:
The mosses look great mate and Its good to see a clear pic of what they grow into and stuff, I think the fissedens is the one for me, do you know where I can buy some?
I just sent out 4 envelopes with Fissidens today, it will be a while before I can spare some more. I will keep you in mind for the next trim. Check with the forum sponsors, Aquatic Magic sometimes carry it, make sure its Fissidens Fontanus. LFS I went to last weekend (Living Waters http://www.livingwatersonline.co.uk/) did stock it, not sure how much and if they post it, worth giving them a call.

Back