• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Advice during a water change with external filter setup.

ADGScapes

Hello, I have a filtosmart thermo 100, my first external filter.
I have a couple questions regarding water changes and maintenance, what do I do with the filter? Turn it off and then set the inflow/outflow section to locked?
Can I j
How do I clean it out without spilling water when taking off to tubes?
If anyone has this filter and can help me I would appreciate it.
Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200106-074433_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20200106-074433_Google.jpg
    947.3 KB · Views: 197
Your plan Re water changes is a good one though possibly OTT, I don't turn mine off, provided the intake remains below the water surface the filter will continue to run.

A little bit of water always spills when taking off the hoses, I normally use a towel round the are to catch this as it happens.

Not sure why you would need to lock the inflow and outflow- if you turn the filter off (which isvwhat I do) you should be fine. There will be some residual water in the intake/outflow pipes so take care and if you can position a bucket below when you gently remove the lily pipes/spaybar etc. Inevitably you will get a little water drips so keep a towel handy.

I find if you rush the process more water gets all over the place- so have a nice drink handy (tea/coffee/ beer), turn up your preferred choice of music and take you time!

what do I do with the filter?

I turn the valves off on filter when adding water add Prime mix the water give it 5mins to work before turning filter back on. Well normally clean the filter media in old tank water first.

Back