• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

advice for a new filter

bazz

hi and thanx in advance.
now my tropicube and dennerle nanocube are up and running and in fine fettle, its time for the next project, a "aqua one windsor 66" bow fronted corner aquarium, 60cm deep, 55cm each side back to the corner chamfer and around 90 cm across the front, and holding around 180 liters.
i've run dennerle internals for almost the last 20 years (the last coc 400 ran for 10 years and still works as well as the day i bought it), but time has come for change , especially with the recent rewriting of my history books (substrate heating cables etc etc....).
i recently bought a eheim ecco pro 130 for the nanocube but ended up having to return it, because of an internal leak in the pump housing. after doing some research online and here, i've concluded that all the new eheims are manufactured in china and do not share the same quality control they perhaps once had, and are a shadow of their former selves.
so, here i am looking for any suggestions, inspiration and advice!
cheers and thanx,
bazz!

You couldn't go to far wrong with the eheim 2080, I've got one and its great, bit of a hum so not ideal but that's bearable for me anyway. The general rule to work to is to try and get a filter that turns over 10x the tank water every hour, or at least is rated to. So for your tank you'd need one rated at 1800lph or thereabouts. Two tetratec ex1200 would be perfect.

Sam

Themuleous said:
Two tetratec ex1200 would be perfect.

crikey, thats 2400 liter/hour, i can see my soft spot for microrasboras will have to go on the back burner!
while googling the specs for the 1200's, i noticed the 2400, and upon further googling i ended up back here with your 1200 review, i would have liked just 1 unit, but 2 1200's would fit 1 in each under cabinet, where as the eheim is just too large!
i have read on the net of a couple of instances where the tetratecs leak, are these a few isolated cases or is there a generic problem, another leaking external will i'm sure drive me back to internals?
cheers and thanx for the input,
bazz!

also while i'm at it, why can i buy a twin 24w t5 contoller from hagen for £26.00, while the cheapest i can find for the same spec arcadia is £58.00, am i missing something here?
later,
bazz!

Buy a smaller Eheim External Filter e.g Pro 3e or something similar and add a koralia pump as well - thus will give you the turnover you require.

Paul

Thats not a bad plan Paul, I've got the eheim 2080 and a 3000lph power head, works a treat.

You could get one ex1200 and a powerhead or pump in the tank for added flow. I had an ex2400 and it was so noisy I had to get rid of it.

The ex1200 gets very good reviews though, with the odd bad one which is expected with any product I guess.

Sam

thanx guys!
just ordered a tetratec ex 1200 and 300w hydor external in-line heater, and will be ordering a koralia in the very near future!
later, bazz!

Back