• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Advice for a newbie

Saint LeJim

Seedling
Hi all.

I am looking for some advice and hope you can help. I am currently saving for my first tank and am wondering what size would be best? It's going to be between a 60x30x35 or a 45x29x30. I plan on rescaping fairly often, as It's part of the hobby that interests me, but I don't have the space for multiple tanks. I would prefer the 60cm tank but would opt in for the smaller tank if it would be a lot cheaper to re-scape on a regular basis.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks.

If cost is a factor here then the smaller tank would potentially allow you to rescale more regularly as it will require less/smaller hardscape, less plants to fill it, less ferts etc etc. However have a think about what fish you want too as the 60cm tank will offer a lot more options up here than the 45cm.

I’d say get the largest tank you can afford. For a newbie, you gotta deal with water chemistry first and foremost. And a larger volume would help with stability, with less spikes of ammonia and nitrite, should something bad happen later, as all of us former newbies will testify about f**king up our tank water in the wee stages of our aqua-journey.

Back