• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Advice for a water changing pump needed.

Looking for a pump I can drop into my 5 gall bucket to pump new water into my tank on water change day. Anybody came across a fairly cheap one that fits the bill? I don't mind humping the buckets out I only change 3 at a time but my backs not getting any younger :rolleyes: and it would be great to just be able to sit and watch the tank fill itself up while I watch instead of endless jugs going back in.

Hi,
i use stepladders to stand my 25l drums on and a liquid transfer pump, the type you can get from camping/outdoor stores etc.
Alternatively get some tall ladders and syphon.
Cheerio,
Ady

I use a JBL ProFlow u750 pump to
  • pump water out onto front lawn from 40l bucket of water syphoned from tank. I syphon into bucket first so I can see things I shouldn't have syphoned out...usually fish fry :oops:
  • from 40l buckets of warm water from the kitchen.
I used this pump as outlet is same size as normal hose pipe and hose pipe easily pushes onto outlet for when changing things around/clearing up etc.

Thanks guys ill check out the pumps mentioned. At the minute I fill my buckets with a hose connector half way down the garden. Two five galls cold and 2x 2.5galls hot from the kitchen sink gets the temp about right. Don't mind humping the buckets in. Usually cures my hangover;) its the constant bending over to fill jugs that goes for my back. The tank stands about 1900mm from the floor so don't fancy balancing a ferment bin on steps :eek: Alistair my kitchen sink has a strange mixer tap on so can't really get a hose on it.

Why use jugs? I pour directly into the tank from a bucket, it doesn't disturb the substrate if you pour it over your hand at the waterline.

Pouring directly from a bucket isn't really an option. Firstly I use a 5 gallon fermenting bin which would need two hands, even if I switched to using smaller buckets it would still be a two handed operation I reckon and would have to be poured that slowly I would be holding the bucket at shoulder height for a fair while. I also have cat litter substrate which is notoriously light and easily disturbed. The 50% change reduces the water level to about 6" so even pouring a jug in too quickly disturbs it.
The pump is the way forward, for £20 it's worth the money to me all day long. Was just checking to see if anyone recommended any in particular as being able to lift the water to that head height at a decent flow rate. Looking forward to being able to just sit and watch my tank fill itself up while have a brew ;) Just a case of putting the 2.5gall bucket into the fermenting bin straight from the kitchen tap as the level drops.

the u750 a good option as it have a good, 1.65m head height which is what your need. I have a t600 pump but it doesnt have the power to pump from the floor into the tank but a u750 would be able to.

I went to my local garden center and found a Gardena pump for water butt, it was on sale and got it even cheaper because the packaging was damaged. It's perfect for me because it's strong enough to pump the water I prepared a day in advance in the garage all the way to the tank in the living room..

Cheers for the advice, time to shop and save my back :)

Back