• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Advice Needed for Design

Rıza Sırman

Seedling
tank2.hafta.JPG

Hello Everyone,

I'm working on this tank these days. May i have your advices about the design? What can be done with the background? Which plants can be added to make it more interesting?

In my experience I would try to keep meshes out, I wouldnt stablish rigid, well defined shapes as the passage you have. And try using not just one figure that sticks out like your tree or at least try to blend it a bit more into the scape. Keeping it simple is a good rule. Also I think it would help the scape if it had less front open space and a bit more at the back, specially if you plan on putting some stems there. I know all these is easier said than done and I hope I dont discourage you too much. Once it grows in it can become a nice tank and if you like it as it is then forget about my words. Just do what you like.

Not sure if the undergravel filter is a good idea in a planted aquarium as it disrupts ecosystem in substrate.

Hello Jose, thanks for your advices. I'm using to grid to form a carpet effect with christmass moss. It's low-tech tank. So i do not want to use carpeting plants like parvula, cuba etc. I hope the tree and the carpet will blend to each other when the chritsmass mosses grow. And also I'm thinking about using 2-3 small trees to blend to tree into the scape. What do you think about this idea Jose? I'm not planning to include stem plants. I think this will corrupt the landscape view. I want to form a tree in a park together with a passage. The flame moss on the right back corner is not doing well without CO2. Maybe i can replace it with mini bolbitis.

Ourmanflint, undergravel works very well with the water parameters and water is always crystal clear. Maybe t can be bas for plants with roots. But i just have straugene repens. Also i've also heard that it's good for shrimps which i have about 10. I'm happy with it right now. Also i have a hang-on filter running too. If i decide not to use it, it will be no problem. I'm just trying the undergravel filter. Do you have any ideas about the design? Which plants can be added to make it look more sophisticated?

I know this is an aquascaping site but perhaps a mention of fish welfare wouldnt go amiss. Im sure they are getting on together fine but things like tetras should be in a shoal of at least 6 individuals of their own species ideally.

Back to the aesthetics though, maybe try a few different coloured papers behind the back (blue and black seem popular). Some stems to cover the filter upright would be first on my list though. I think it might start to look quite different once the lawn gets going though and the mesh is hidden.I wonder if the tree should be shifted more to one side. It is very central and may be more appealing more to the left (conveniently hiding the filter up-pipe)

Hello Stree6,

Thanks for writing. Fishes will be replaced in two months. I'll just include just one shoal of tetras. But i didn't decide the species. Do you have any advice?

You're right about the filter pipe. I can exclude it while taking photo. Also I'm thinking about tying some moss to the pipe. Maybe i can stick some wood branches and make it look like a tree. Not sure yet.
But unfortunately the tree is big for the tank. There's no way to move it :(

The filter you are using is fine for a low tech. It will keep O2 and CO2 at near equilibrium with the atmosphere. Then you should also dose some nutrients for the plants. Dont worry about plants roots. They will take nutrients from the leaves as well. But there should be enough.

Also, yes I think you could use some middle height plants to soften the lines a bit.

Also some nano fish will add to the tank. I wouldnt go bigger than Ember tetras.

Thanks again Jose,

I'm using 3ml general liquid fertilizer per week. 1ml potassium and 1ml excel twice a week. And also %30 water change per week.

Can you advice me some low tech middle height plants?

Ember tetras are nice idea. Also i will look for other species too. Maybe i can find a rare species.

Thanks again Jose,
I'm using 3ml general liquid fertilizer per week. 1ml potassium and 1ml excel twice a week. And also %30 water change per week.
Can you advice me some low tech middle height plants?
Ember tetras are nice idea. Also i will look for other species too. Maybe i can find a rare species.

Youre weolcome.
Mid ground low tech plants could be Crypts if you need really low low tech. But you can use Hydrocotyle tripartita (this one I like a lot and doesnt need CO2), sagitaria sabulata ....puff cant really remember a lot of names right now.
Another small and hardy fish are mosquito rasboras and such (boraras genus) or galaxy rasboras This two are the ones I keep and shrimp.

Back