• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Advice needed on flow

KirstyF

New tank has arrived and I’ve been plumbing up and doing some wet testing.
Tank - L84”, W24”, H22” - close to 700ltrs
Filters - 2 x Oase Biomaster 850T - Max output 1550ltph each.
Output of these filters was perhaps always going to be pushing my luck a little with this tank but figured I’d at least see how things looked before diving into supplementary flow pumps.
So….set up the standard spray bar on one of the canisters (65cm ish using both supplied bars) and my jets are barely reaching half way across the tank and even taping half of them isn’t helping much. A sprinkle test with some fine fish food saw it dumped on the bottom of the tank, less than half way to the back, never to rise again! 🙁
The canisters come with 7 trays, 2 x small bags of hex media, which I’ve kept in, 4 x blue sponges (I’ve removed 2) 1 x fine sponge (kept) and I’ve added 250g of purigen so I’ve got one tray empty. I’ve also got the standard orange pre-filter sponges in place.
Both canisters are running through a Yidao reactor.
Any ideas on improving flow performance with a spray bar set-up are most welcome.

Plan B is the Maxspect gyre, inspired by @Zeus tbf. I’m thinking a 330 or a 350 at one end of the tank giving a gyre end to end, with an outflow from each canister either side of it. The 350 is max 20,000lph (adjustable) so more than I should need but it is also 2.5” wider so would potentially give a better spread.(12.8”)

So…any advice on whether the Maxspect sounds like a good plan or if anyone has a better plan, it would be great to hear from you.

Thanks

Hi @KirstyF

Picked up the twin pack of XF330 gyres and they haven’t disappointed. They shift water and they’re programmable for plenty of flow patterns.

Bit of an eyesore but an end game solution for distribution and flow. May be worth considering the larger 350 units for an 84” long tank.

Hi Geoffrey
Thanks for the response. May I ask what size ur tank is and how you have set up ur 330’s/outlets?
I could probably fit a pair of 330’s next to each other on the side of the tank, with just about enough space to then get an outlet pipe each side of the gyres to bring in the co2 enriched water, whereas with the 350, I would only have enough space for the one, so would have a narrower spread but more powerful pump. 🤔

Hi Geoffrey
Thanks for the response. May I ask what size ur tank is and how you have set up ur 330’s/outlets?
I could probably fit a pair of 330’s next to each other on the side of the tank, with just about enough space to then get an outlet pipe each side of the gyres to bring in the co2 enriched water, whereas with the 350, I would only have enough space for the one, so would have a narrower spread but more powerful pump. 🤔

Talking about the 330 here… On the 24” length anything over 30% is too much. On a 48” length anything over 50% is too much. On your 84” they would suit with two side by side.

They’re powerful, but adjustable. Each unit is roughly 10” across so two side by side to give the wider spread would be more sensible I would have thought. Depends on the planting/scape design. You can also mount it vertically, so one horizontal, one vertical if you choose.

Thanks. I know all tanks are unique but useful to know how they are performing on other set-ups. Sounds like a pair of 330’s might do the job. 👍

Back