• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Advice needed on lighting

Willage

I’ve been doing loads of research on lighting and I’m losing the plot with the best thing to do so some input and direction would be great!

I’m in the process of installing a 500L room divider aquarium between two living areas.

The aquarium is quite large but not particularly wide, the measurements are: 1750mm L x 750mm H x 400mm W.

There are plenty of windows close by, but the aquarium should never hit full sunlight directly.

Looking at all the lighting at the moment, I’m trying to workout if I can use something other than just ‘aquarium lighting’, this is partially down to the fact I’m looking to try and get smart lighting in order to dim these later in the evening - however I plan to provide at least 12 hours of ‘full light’ per day before decreasing this in the evening.

There seems to be a fair amount of conflicting information on what can and cannot be used, which is why I thought I’d see if I can gain some insight on here!

Any input would be gratefully received!

My not be wide but is deep so you are looking at tighter lensed and usually hung lights.
So going "outside the box" may be necessary.
150-ish gallons..

First are you game in suspending them?
Willing to go off of the mainstream vendor path?

something like this could be tank mounted though at 750mmx 2 and the cod design may be a bit of a logistic issue.
not sure (but doesn't look it) if the "smart controller" has any wifi or app control.
currently at $320 US it's a close to minumum % starting point unles you go w/ cheap led flood lights.

sorry, advertising photo but shows placement and btw, no wifi or app on that controller.
HTB1dHAKcCSD3KVjSZFKq6z10VXak.jpg

Last edited:
Looking at all the lighting at the moment, I’m trying to workout if I can use something other than just ‘aquarium lighting’, this is partially down to the fact I’m looking to try and get smart lighting in order to dim these later in the evening - however I plan to provide at least 12 hours of ‘full light’ per day before decreasing this in the evening.
Any lighting can be used to grow plants. It only matters what you like to look at. Tungsten is the least favored due to inefficiency and as oreo57 pointed out, there are plenty to choose from. The term "aquarium lighting" is just a marketing term but then. having said that, it also implies the convenience of a fixture that will fit over a tank without too many compromises.

Dimmable and programable LEDs are the way to go regardless of fixture configuration, and in the aquarium lighting world there are lots and lots of programable options at all different prices. The higher the price the better the programmability and options.

Cheers,

Back