• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Advice on adding fish

JPT81

Hi all,

I just wanted a bit of advice on adding fish to my tank and my red cherry shrimp.

At the end of this week, it’ll have been 4 weeks since I added cherry shrimp to my tank. They seem fine and 4 out of 5 of them have molted. I’m pretty sure I have 2 females but neither of them have berried yet.
I’m looking at adding maybe 8 Neon Tetras to the tank, so my question is, should I wait longer to see if my shrimp berry before adding fish to my tank or do you think it’d be ok to just add the fish this week?
I’ve read on a couple of forums that Neon Tetras will sometimes eat baby shrimp!?

Not sure what to do!

Thanks for looking.

Nearly every fish will eat baby shrimp and it's only with dense planting that you get new shrimp able to grow to a size where they won't be eaten (lots believe the only fish that wont eat shrimp is otocinclus). So my advice would be to add your fish when you have a decent plant cover and plenty of hidey holes for the babies.

Assuming your tank is mature then you can add fish but I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to wait until your shrimp have had a few generations of babies first as this builds up a colony which is less likely to be impacted by predation. This approach does take a lot of patience and if you really want the fish you'd likely be ok.

Like Mort says, you can add the neons just fine provided you have plants and cover. Over time and with enough plants more shrimplets will survive, especially if you have some denser stuff like moss or hairgrass.

I got some hitch hiker baby cherry shrimp in a bag when I got my amano shrimp. I couldn't even see them they were thats small and spotted them in the tank as little red dots. and now I have hundreds across 3 tanks from that freebie. I think you'll be fine one of my tanks (Flex 57) has 13 neons but I still spot newbies emerging in that tank

Thanks all! It’s kind of what I was expecting to hear. I think I’ll hold out a little longer then before adding fish.

Also, @Kevin Eades Did you have issues with baby shrimp getting in to the back compartments of your Flex 57L? That’s the tank I’ve got and was thinking of putting a bit of foam behind each intake.

I've bought shrimp guards off ebay 3d printed
Thanks all! It’s kind of what I was expecting to hear. I think I’ll hold out a little longer then before adding fish.

Also, @Kevin Eades Did you have issues with baby shrimp getting in to the back compartments of your Flex 57L? That’s the tank I’ve got and was thinking of putting a bit of foam behind each intake.

Back