• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Advice on final set-up specs

Wayney

Hi peeps,

Just want peoples opinions on my final wanted list for my new project if thats ok.

180ltr bow fronted tank, Substrate: Tropica base layer, Eco-complete for raised areas capped off with AS amazonia II.
Lights: 3x39w luminare( hopefully, still bidding on it)Tubes: Osram 880 skywhite,Osram 840 lumilux, Sylvania grolux.
CO2: 2kg FE, Rhinox 5000 diffuser.
Filtration: Choice of externals, Fluval 305,Fluval 405 and Tetratec EX1200, Koralia nano pump to prevent dead spots.
Ferts: Dry salts, KN03,KS204,KH2P04,MGS04,CSM+B Traces.
Decor: I've already got enough rocks and redmoor wood to sink a small ship :lol:

I know i've probably got more stuff than I actually need but i always like to be prepared for whatever situation arises, besides i already had a lot of the stuff anyway.

If theres anything I've missed or things I dont really need I would appreciate it greatly if you could let me know.

P.s. I've also got a spare 100ltr tank for water changes coz Im uber lazy and dont wanna carry anymore water up and downstairs than i need to :lol:

Thanks for reading guys :)

beeky said:
When you replant/uproot/move plants around, the tropica might mix with the AS and spoil the look.

nice one, didn't think about that. So you think I'd be better off with just the eco-complete and AS then.
I've already got the Eco-complete set-up in another tank so it's already well used by now.

I wouldn't bother mixing substrates use one or another not both, I'd recommend AS and just dig deep in those pockets.

Thanks for the feedback guys. AS it is then, I've always wanted to try it anyway :D
Do you think there would be to much turbulence if i ran the EX1200 and the 405 together?

Garuf said:
does it reach the 10x per hour goal?

It will be more i think, EX1200=1200lph+405=1300lph=2500. But in reality it would be considerably less after filling with media, hopefully around 1800-2000lph.

Sounds good to me, I'd still go bigger, or have 2 tetratec's just me though.

From my understanding the 10x per hour 'rule' is suppose to actually allow for reduction in flow from media etc, your not really suppose to aim for this AFTER flow has been reduced. The amount you are actually aiming for is about 6x per hour, but because of reductions in flow from things like the media, clogging and the head, it was decided to make the guidance 10x in order to factor these in.

So for a 180 litre you want a total circulation of 1800 litres per hour, so at 2500 litres per hour you are actually over this, so have plenty.

Personally I like breaking rules, so just use a filter with a large capacity (JBL CristalProfi 250) and a Fluval 2 in the 'dead zone' at the opposite end of the tank pointed back to front, with the external output pointed along the back with a lily pipe fitted. I get great circulation, and my plants grow at an astounding rate. This is in a Rio 180 with about 3.3 watts per gallon and CO2. My plants wave nicely and slowly in the current, rather than been bent over from it....

Ade

Wolfenrook said:
From my understanding the 10x per hour 'rule' is suppose to actually allow for reduction in flow from media etc, your not really suppose to aim for this AFTER flow has been reduced. The amount you are actually aiming for is about 6x per hour, but because of reductions in flow from things like the media, clogging and the head, it was decided to make the guidance 10x in order to factor these in.

So for a 180 litre you want a total circulation of 1800 litres per hour, so at 2500 litres per hour you are actually over this, so have plenty.

Personally I like breaking rules, so just use a filter with a large capacity (JBL CristalProfi 250) and a Fluval 2 in the 'dead zone' at the opposite end of the tank pointed back to front, with the external output pointed along the back with a lily pipe fitted. I get great circulation, and my plants grow at an astounding rate. This is in a Rio 180 with about 3.3 watts per gallon and CO2. My plants wave nicely and slowly in the current, rather than been bent over from it....

Ade

Thanks Ade, how do you hide the internal fluval 2 if you dont mind me asking :)

just be careful though, I seem to remember fiddling with one in the shop and it being siliconed in place.

Garuf said:
just be careful though, I seem to remember fiddling with one in the shop and it being siliconed in place.

Mmmmm...unfortunately carefulness isn't one of my best qualities. I'm more of a ' Shoot first, ask questions later ' kinda guy :twisted:

As per previous posts really. If using AS then I think Tropica underneath is a little pointless. I would either use Tropica and top it with san (black if you are after a black surface) or use AS completely although that is a little costly. lol

My understanding is that while people do quote the 10x filtration it was 5-10x when it first started being quoted and people seem to have gradually dropped the 5 off. Mine is 700lph on a 125l so thats 5.6x before accounting for media (I only have half the media in there)

Can't really see the point in 2 filters on a tank of that size 180Ltr is so big. I would just use the 1200 on its own.

I think if you do end up with the 2500lph on the tank then you are going to be getting dizzy fish!!!.

Good luck with the setup though.
Andy

SuperColey1 said:
As per previous posts really. If using AS then I think Tropica underneath is a little pointless. I would either use Tropica and top it with san (black if you are after a black surface) or use AS completely although that is a little costly. lol

My understanding is that while people do quote the 10x filtration it was 5-10x when it first started being quoted and people seem to have gradually dropped the 5 off. Mine is 700lph on a 125l so thats 5.6x before accounting for media (I only have half the media in there)

Can't really see the point in 2 filters on a tank of that size 180Ltr is so big. I would just use the 1200 on its own.

I think if you do end up with the 2500lph on the tank then you are going to be getting dizzy fish!!!.

Good luck with the setup though.
Andy

Yeah, the substrate is a bit of a quandary for me really coz Ive already got 60lb of eco-complete in another set-up and roughly 80lb of pea gravel with an under-layer of tetra plant substrate in a bog standard trop community set-up so I'm unsure whether i can justify the extra cost for the AS. But on the other hand I've seen the results other people have got using AS hence the indecision.
Filtration wise i've got quite a few externals as well as the ones i mentioned so i will probably chop+change and see which works best for me. Thanks for the advice Supercoley1 it's mucho appreciated

Back