• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Advice on foreground plants for low light.

swackett

Hi,

I've got a Fluval Roma 125 with a 10w LED. I was wondering if anybody can advice on some small foreground plants that would be suitable. I believe echinodoras tenulls and crypt parva will be okay, but wondered if there are any others.

Thanks

Take a look at the Tropica range http://tropica.com/en/plants/
You could try Lilaeopsis brasiliensis or Sagittaria subulata for example.
Are you going to use CO2? That will increase the likelihood of success with other species?

Take a look at the Tropica range http://tropica.com/en/plants/
You could try Lilaeopsis brasiliensis or Sagittaria subulata for example.
Are you going to use CO2? That will increase the likelihood of success with other species?

Thanks Tim, yes I am using Co2. I was wondering about foreground plants as I have read that most require high light to stay compact, is this right?

That's a bit of a moot point. For sure getting the light intensity right is very important to grow the often compact plant forms aquascapers like, but of equal importance are fertz dosing, CO2 flow and distribution, and tank husbandry, especially if you're going to avoid farming algae. I also think light quality plays a role too.

Is there a reason you want to maintain a low light tank? If you're looking for compact growth you may need to retrofit a supplementary light source; although TBH I've no idea if a Fluval 10w light can be considered low light in a Roma 125.

However, I'm of the give it a go and see if it works school...the trick is recognising it isn't working and adjusting in time before it all goes Pete Tong. So give it a go, it's probably better to start with low light, you can always increase intensity later, if you're sure all the other parameters are optimised first.

That's a bit of a moot point. For sure getting the light intensity right is very important to grow the often compact plant forms aquascapers like, but of equal importance are fertz dosing, CO2 flow and distribution, and tank husbandry, especially if you're going to avoid farming algae. I also think light quality plays a role too.

Is there a reason you want to maintain a low light tank? If you're looking for compact growth you may need to retrofit a supplementary light source; although TBH I've no idea if a Fluval 10w light can be considered low light in a Roma 125.

However, I'm of the give it a go and see if it works school...the trick is recognising it isn't working and adjusting in time before it all goes Pete Tong. So give it a go, it's probably better to start with not enough light, you can always increase intensity later, if you're sure all the other parameters are optimised first.

I'm also not sure if 10 watt is considered low or not in my tank. It seems most of the smaller plants are grass like in appearance, but yes I could give it a go and see like you said. TO put this into context my tank is shown in my journal https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/a-place-for-corydoras.49696/

Thanks, it's always difficult to tell by images alone, but it looks pretty bright to me.

Yes, now you have seen the tank, do you have any more suggestions or do your first two still hold true ?

Do you think Hemianthus micranthemoides will work?

If you're not sold on grass type plants you could give these a go as well, Marsilea hirsuta ,Hydrocotyle sp."Japan", Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo. They're often considered fairly undemanding. There are others, check out the Easy and Medium plants in the link I gave you.

I wouldn't necessarily consider Hemianthus micranthemoides a true carpet plant; it grows too tall. It's also considered an "advanced" plant so may not be suitable for everyone.

If you're not sold on grass type plants you could give these a go as well, Marsilea hirsuta ,Hydrocotyle sp."Japan", Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo. They're often considered fairly undemanding. There are others, check out the Easy and Medium plants in the link I gave you.

I wouldn't necessarily consider Hemianthus micranthemoides a true carpet plant; it grows too tall. It's also considered an "advanced" plant so may not be suitable for everyone.

Not that I am unsold on grass like plants, just wondered if there is anything else out there, and it seems there is. Like you said, I can just buy a pot and see how well it gets on in my tank.

Those plants you mentioned look good, I wanted something that has a different look to the Crypts.

Back