• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Advice on getting rocks for hardscape?

naija

Seedling
I'm a newbie to aquascaping / planted aquarium and I'm hoping for some advice. I want to put together a Iwagumi type hardscape and was hoping to use some black rocks as the focal points. I've got a Fluval Vicenza 260, and thought that basalt or slate would be appropriate, however I can't find anywhere that sells them in anything other than tonne loads! Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can access rocks suitable for my size tank in the UK? Or maybe alternative rock types? Thanks.

I got the slate i had in my tanks from the local garden centre. Quite cheap as well although i do prefer some of the different stone types they do at aquaessentials

as well as the dedicated rock mentioned above (which looks great) and im not sure where you live but have you tried any local quarries? they usually have baskets outside with rocks in to show what they sell or stuff for landscaping. Youd want to check if its suitable for the aquarium though before you buy a load.

i got this lot from a quarry in west wales when I was passing, cost me about 10 quid. Its a mix of pinnacle type slate and blue stone (schist).

img8105edit.th.jpg

Thanks for the advice :thumbup: . I had looked at the stuff on Aquaessentials but didn't see anything quite like what I was aiming for. I'll check out a few more of my local garden centres, maybe I'll get lucky!

Back