• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Advice on new CO2 system

thesorcerous

Seedling
Hi all,

I am starting a new planted tank about 12 years after my last one. I have a new tank (70 cm x 32 cm x 45 cm, optiwhite glass on the front and both sides, braceless), a new light (Twinstar LED 600SA), and aquarium soil (Prodibio, i think). I have an old Fluval 304 external filter which will work nicely with it. I have a lot of hardscape from various tanks in the past. I might change the pipes at some point, but there's no rush. There is no water or anything else in the tank at the moment.

For the majority of the time I ran my previous tank, I did not have any CO2 running, but when I did, it was a homemade kit (yeast with porridge etc.). It was never very successful, unsurprisingly.

I am now thinking that I will get a CO2 setup for this new tank. My question is, what do I get? I have seen CO2supermarket have a kit with a dual stage regulator, and CO2Art also have something similar (but at a much higher price). I have also wondered about getting an industrial regulator from, for example, BOC as these seem to be a similar price to the CO2art ones.

My second question is whether i should set the tank up with this to begin with, or whether you think it is better to establish some growth in the plants first and then add CO2 later?

My apologies if this is in the wrong section, or these have been answered many times before. I did search, but couldn't find the comparison I was looking for.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Rob

Generally if you are going to run co2 most will do it from the start. Personally I went with an aquarium specific kit, it will have everything you need, bubble counter, co2 resistant pipe, diffuser etc.

Generally if you are going to run co2 most will do it from the start. Personally I went with an aquarium specific kit, it will have everything you need, bubble counter, co2 resistant pipe, diffuser etc.

Yes I agree,

You may find the industrial regulators will run at a much higher pressure that you’ll have difficulty controlling and may not fit on our standard bottles.

Decide what sized diffuser you would like. The Twinstar/AquaRio is the best one on the market. A medium should be fine for you.

Order a decent dual stage reg with full kit inc bubble counter, tubing and drop checker. Will be about £150.

Also order a glass u bend to go over the top of the tank.

Look at Adams Gas website for bottles local to you. A 3kg one will fit in most cabinets.

Cheers

S.

I would prioritize over dual stage regulator because it will keep the pressure stable while your CO2 tank starts running low. Keep an eye on Black Friday, you might be able to get a dual stage reg for the price of a single stage one!

Great, thanks for all the advice everyone. I will get the one from CO2 supermarket.

Thanks,
Rob

Yes this one is better and worth the £50 difference. I would stay away of CO2art, their dual stage pro elite is everything but.

?????????

Co2 Art is an excellent company with customer service second to none imo. We use them and stock them at AG and they are very good, otherwise we wouldn’t!!

The Pro Elite is also an excellent regulator. What does let it down though is that is appears to use the same needle valve as the Pro SE. For the extra money I would like to see a higher end less sensitive one being used.

Can’t go wrong with the Pro SE for the money I think.

I have 3 co2art regs and never had a issue with any and i think most maybe not all will say co2art are by far the best aquarium regs on the market if you by it from aquarium gardens there customer serves is second to none and there advice is a god send
Cheers
Jay

Ah, I’m only 30 minutes drive from Aquarium Gardens, I’ll pop in tomorrow and see what they think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah, I’m only 30 minutes drive from Aquarium Gardens, I’ll pop in tomorrow and see what they think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perfect, you can have a good look around the tanks, shop, hardscape and plants. We are happy to run through the co2 set up with you.
Tomorrow is no Dave (he needs Saturday to rest!) but there will be @Geoffrey Rea, @Delirious and myself in!

So wish i lived that close the guys in the shop probs woudnt be so happy with me pestering them every day though lol
Cheers
Jay

@Jayefc1 - Just think of all the Haribo it’ll cost you though, mmmmmmmmmmm!

You are welcome any time! I’ll sort you out your own chair, ADA cup (I need a new one anyway since Felipe broke the handle on mine) and you can choose which tank you would like to maintain! :)

@Siege Hang on sounds like your putting me to work and maintain a tank id want my own lol (ok it will be out the back in the store house where no one could ever see it but i wouldnt mind that ) ohhh my own mug il by the haribo company and give it to.you for the mug
@thesorcerous be carfull if the teribble trio are in charge you may need the whole day and the whole sunday to recover and the misses will need a week to recover from the wallet devastation lol
Cheers
Jay

@thesorcerous everyone has to make their own mind up for themselves. Bit easier if you get to see a product in the flesh and see the results it’s capable of.

Happy to help if you want to pop in tomorrow.

@Siege Hang on sounds like your putting me to work and maintain a tank id want my own lol (ok it will be out the back in the store house where no one could ever see it but i wouldnt mind that ) ohhh my own mug il by the haribo company and give it to.you for the mug
@thesorcerous be carfull if the teribble trio are in charge you may need the whole day and the whole sunday to recover and the misses will need a week to recover from the wallet devastation lol
Cheers
Jay

Your tanks are good enough to be in the shop jay,. I have a feeling your maintenance is really good as well.........!

Haha us making you spend money. Sample of our usual conversation -

Us - ‘you don’t need all that rock do you jay?’

Jay - ‘yeah I do, you can never have enough hardscape can you?’

Us - ‘but that’s a lot for a 60-p tank’

Jay - ‘it’s so nice though, you can never have enough, I’ll store it for my next scape if I don’t use it !’

Writing this I realise I have a similar convo with Dave when I buy ADA tools! :)

Last edited:
Back