• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Advice on scratch removal

swackett

HI,

We have long single scratch along the front of our Roma 125 and you can feel the scratch with your finger nail. I know this will mean some hard work and elbow grease and lots of time, but wondering if anyone can give advice on what I need to do this, and how to do this that would be great?

I could swap the tank around but does anyone know how to get the lip off around the top of the tank and then replace it?

Ta

There are some youtube videos with scratch removal tutorials.. But afaik, if it's glass and you feel the scratch, forget it.. You'll be buffing for a week 12 hours a day and if you ever getting it out the glass well have a dent, making your eyes hurt watching through it. A bit exaggerated, it likely turns the tank into a lunapark distorting mirror atraction. But generaly, scratches you feel are about unremovable.. :)

Cut the panel out and replace it with new one, probaly cheaper, easier and faster..

Thanks will have a look at youtube, but sounds like that panel is knackered. I guess I could remove the plastic rim, has anyone done this?

How is the back panel? Can't you just turn it around 180°? :)

Yeah I think its okay, the only issue is the top plastic lip as there are cutouts for the filter pipework on the back side, so I would need to somehow remove the whole plastic lip and rotate that through 180 degree as well.

I know people who have used a kits like these.

http://www.glasspolishshop.com

Lower the water to expose the scratch, remove fish it required.
Tape cling film to glass and cover water surface. Add layer of kitchen towel.
Polish away using power tools.

Though easier if you can empty the tank and work on the glass sheet with it flat.

The scratched tank is being replaced, so once that happens this weekend it will be empty. I wanted to try and save it so I can use as a second setup rather than just skip it.

Back