• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Advice on the Juwel Rio 180...

Definitely Jim, I'm quite proud of them myself! :D I was thinking some livebearers... Any suggestions? Preferably ones to bring a colourful spectrum to the tank. A pair of dwarf gouramis might be nice too but I'm not sure if they'll be alright yet - I've read that they're great fish and relatively docile in a community.

As for plants I'm thinking of getting some moss or carpeting plants, and I'm going to put a big piece of bogwood, and tie some plants too it, in after I've boiled it and cured it. I'll post a pic later! Any suggestions are more than welcome!

Nathan
As far as livebearers go i like the endler's http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu..._nJ93Ib8XHmLM_muw=&docid=kG7uekN2OqUGxM&itg=1

I have also kept Golden rams, great fish and no bother to the other fish or shrimp apart from when they spawn https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=g...imgbuddy.com%2Fgolden-ram-cichlid.asp;720;478

As far as carpeting plants i have mixed Monte carlo with Eleocharis mini, when they grow in together it look really natural IMO. MC is really fast growing and has covered my tank really well, Eleo grows really slow for me. Here is a pic of my carpet
20150521_231615_zpsbvxrnc7l.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]
Looking forward to seeing the BW in the tank.
Jim

Attachments

• 20150521_231615_zpsbvxrnc7l.jpg
    421.3 KB · Views: 126
    421.3 KB · Views: 134
    421.3 KB · Views: 133
55gdj7.jpg
2dhiiw1.jpg

Here it is! :) A few more taller plants and it should look all right!

Attachments

• 55gdj7.jpg
    55gdj7.jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 112
33x92du.jpg
33x92du.jpg
[Ok, another update. I've not done much except water changes and sand cleaning, but I did add a dwarf male gourami as a sort of 'centrepiece'.
My lfs (which I DO trust) said it would be ok if I got two, but do you think it would be ok? You all are the experts! :p

Last edited:
He's a nice little centrepiece with great colours, as for keeping more than one male? Some forums i checked said absolute NO and others said it's ok..... You could submit a post under the fish section on this site, im sure you will get some good advise.

From the picture above it looks as though you are getting some nice growth from your plants, full tank shot would be nice :)
Jim

1jejm.jpg
Okay, so after the last few weeks I added plants, 10 more Cardinal tetras, otocinculus for the algae (they are doing an excellent job!) and 4 platies. I think that I've reached the limit now, so no more fish!

Also, straight after I got my first male dwarf gourami, I just HAD to get another. They're gentle giants, and they don't chase/fight at all!

I would really suggest, you remove the Dracena sanderiana - those are the "palm-like", white and green ones. They are not aquatic plants and will slowly but surely die.......polluting your tank in the process.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news; but this is a fact !!
They are terrific window-plants, though, so if you just plant them in a pot, they will allmost certainly grow happily on........
If the "grassy" ones are Ophiopogon, the same goes for them - sorry!!!

Oh, thanks for that! I don't think the grassy ones are ophiogon though, but I'll quickly do that. They were In a tank full of water when I bought them do I suspected they were aquatic plants!!

EDIT : Nvm, turns out they're both not fully aquatic. I wonder if I can return them as I have no room in my PLANTiful (haha) rooms. I got them from McMillans in preston.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I'm sorry I haven't updated in a long time - I have my Year 10 coursework to think about and I've just been REALLY BUSY! D: But anyway, a lot has changed in the past few months...

I've changed some plants in my tank and added some platies. I now own a very large anubias, and when I took it out of the pot, 2 small (about 5cm) freshwater lobsters came out, but I know that they grow very large and am thinking to take them back. The only thing that's different to that picture below is that those plants next to the rocks aren't there anymore.

29krfv6.jpg

I also think that some of my platies are pregnant...

23wv79h.jpg

20a5att.jpg

So on impulse buy I bought a used tank for 15 quid off of the internet for the fry whilst I find out what to do with them...

25am8sy.jpg

But it turns out that it was only 5.5 LITRES and not GALLONS after I got it, and I'm not sure what to do with it now. I was actually wondering if I could put a couple of cherry shrimp in it. (Btw it's a "Fish 'r' Fun 5.5 litre)

25am8sy.jpg

But here's 30 minutes of fish in 30
seconds!
http://sendvid.com/zi2cf5gn?secret=bf150b39-883c-433f-816e-7c9193b693e2

Last edited:
Hey everyone! It's been SOOOOO LONG is once I updated the tank, and it's going great. Here are my current stocking a since some I returned and some I gave to other people and some... well... died.

13 x cardinal tetra
5 x rummynose tetra
1 x assassin snail
1 x pearl gourami
1 x gold gourami (may have to return because of the aggression)
+various other small species

ATTACH]

mn21ie.jpg

Anyway I was thinking about having a group of 2-3 boesman rainbow fish ad they are really pretty and I think they will make a great addition to the tank!

P.S it is a Juwel Rio 180 litre (40 gallon) tank

Attachments

• mn21ie.jpg
    mn21ie.jpg
    727.1 KB · Views: 157
  • mn21ie.jpg
    mn21ie.jpg
    727.1 KB · Views: 125
  • mn21ie.jpg
    mn21ie.jpg
    727.1 KB · Views: 137
The tank is coming along very nicely, plants and fish looking really healthy. I have nerite snails, they are great at tank cleaning and have great patterns, plus they are cheap to buy from LFS or eBay. Did you end up adding shrimp?
Jim

Thanks Jim! I think nerite snails would be great, and maybe some adult amano shrimp (depends if the gouramiddle and boesmans eat them)

I sold that 1.5 gallon and I got a bigger tank but the shrimp kept being ducked up into the filter. I eventually gave up and added some galaxy rasbora and a honey gourami into this new tank. :)

http://i64.tinypic.com/2i9nvxs.jpg

Back