• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Advice re lighting and attaching moss, please

Hi,
Well after starting my aquscape yesterday, whilst I’am reasonable pleased with the result for a beginner, I would greatly appreciate advice on two points.
Firstly, if you look at my photo, the moss attached (taxiphllum) looks somewhat naff, no doubt because i’v not attached it incorrectly! Any suggestions appreciated for sorting it out.
Secondly, I need to get a better LED light than the AquaOne light that came with the tank.
Any suggestions appreciated.
The tank is 40cm X 40cm and 30/33cm top to substrate.
I was thinking of getting a light that I could add a sunrise/sunset timer in due course.

Best regards, Graham

Attachments

• IMG_0586 (1).jpg
    IMG_0586 (1).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 170
Tieing moss to wood also works, though you need to do it a lot tighter than you have currently. Really tight. It might not look right at first but it will soon attach and grow to look more natural.

Hi,

Thanks indeed for the replies, much appreciated.

Basically I need to do a better job and have patience, .

I wonder have a asked my lighting question in the correct place?

Regards, Graham.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello Graham, I find that it's best to cut moss up in to tiny bits about 5mm long and either tie on with polyester thread (the type used for sowing) or glue it on using gel type superglue as in Jurijs' video above.
The trick is to use it quite densely and place it exactly where you want it to grow. It doesn't always attach or spread as you would like. Also like Matt mentions tie it on very tightly.

And getting a light with a timer and dimmer is a very good idea. Being able to control both the photoperiod and intensity give you options when it comes to growing plants and controlling algae.

The cotton I use, from end of aisle gondolas in Tesco the ones near the tills...
upload_2018-2-5_17-7-45-png.png

How to attach moss using thread...
Screenshot 2019-05-23 at 09.10.35.png

Back