• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Advice re Vivid

Stu1407

Just put a Vivid 2 on my tank to replace a Fluval Plant 3 and I just wondered what settings people used to start with as I don't fancy a massive algae bloom. Running with C02 and also APT complete dosed daily.
I am currently running it at 6 hour photo period on 30%.

Last edited:
Just put a Vivid 2 on my tank to replace a Fluval Plant 3 and I just wondered what settings people used to start with as I don't fancy a massive algae bloom. Running with C02 and also APT complete dosed daily.
@Stu1407 I don't know either of those lights... But how about selecting an intensity level similar to what you had on the Fluval 3... assuming you didn't have any algae issues with the Fluval... At least what looks like similar intensity and then dial it down a bit from there to be on the safe side. Light intensity (when too high) matters way more than the length of photo period when balancing the light vs. CO2 availability.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Without measurements anything is just a shot in the dark.
Spectrums different.
Spread is different.
PUR ratio is different
Ect..

Not that it matters but it doesn't t help giving new parameters without knowing what your old ones were..

48" (14523) Fluval is 4250 lumens at 59w.
Chihiros vivid 2 is 5500 lumens at 130w.
Thing is the blue and red diodes are err " discounted" in the lumen measurement.
If the chihiros ran at 130w but only white diodes the lumens could exceed 13000 lumen.
Now you see why lumens don' t help.
Pink and blue channel on the fluval have the same issue.

Soo on to par.
Fluval
148 at 19" under water. I assume that means roughly 20-21" from light to bottom.
At 50 (say 20 inches) cm Chihiros averages around 200+ with a peak around 280.

Sooo consider the Chihiros 2x stronger than the Fluval.
Adj. accordingly.

I couldn' t find the size of the fluval but assume 36 or 48" one but on average either would fit the above guess.
Fits the lumen est with corrections... at least in my head..... :)

Last edited:
Back