• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Advise of a good easy Carpeting plant?

john10001

I don't seem to be having much luck with my carpeting plants at the moment. I have had some Hairgrass, Cuba, and Glosso in my tank. The Hairgrass died straight away. I don't know why because I have in the past grown it without any issues in a low tech tank. The Cuba and Glosso is still there but receding and not doing so well. Hopefully, when I get my pressurised CO2 system and some decent fertiliser it will start to do better.

Another problem I have is two of the three tubes I have are out of action because the series ballast is faulty so I am down to 20w. The good thing is that it is a T12 1½" x 24" tube with an excellent reflector so still puts down a fair bit of light, but I think I will have to increase the time it is on for once more to help the Cuba and Glosso. I had reduced it from being on for 10 hours down to around 7 as I had problems with hair algae which is now pretty much solved. The Glosso does seem to have been reaching upwards towards the light instead of spreading out which leads me to believe I need more light and to have that light on for longer.

My other plants are doing quite well. The Anubias are doing great, Ludwigia and Myriophillum too. The Red Tiger Lotus excellent. Probably the best of all. The floaters are doing great. The Vallis Torta, Bolbitis, and Flame Moss all doing good. The only other plant not doing so well is the Echinodorus Harbich which I think is lacking in a few macronutrients particularly potassium which is why I order some fertiliser that should arrive next week.

My question, is there a carpeting plant you would recommend that can grow well in low to medium strength light and I can put in with the tank already being established? I.E. I am not able to start this from scratch as it is a full tank. This is meant to be an African river-themed tank aside from those plants that are not African. Is there any grass like plant or something similar to Glosso that I could try?

Back