• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aeration - Please help to clarify

Oh, yes, that's right. Good catch Andy. :D I'm like Pavlov's dog - too conditioned to blurting out "click on the sponser's link"...

Cheers,

Simon D said:
Hi James,

All I can do is back-up what's already been reported/advised to you.

As Chris1004 said it takes next to no time to "roll your own".

As you will probably read on the train tomorrow, the important thing is to be consistent but not be too worried about 1/16 teaspoon amount of KH2PO4 etc. I have a set of teaspoon measures and the smallest is 1/8th so just over a half of that teaspoon will do (never less, more is better).

Once you've mixed this a couple of times (and seen the results) you will realise that accuracy is not as important as consistency. The reason behind the consistency is basically adjustment, as no two tank set ups are the same. [flow, tap water, filter, substrate, live stock levels............. ] Plants will tell you if they need more of something!

I mix my EI salts into a solution (with distilled water) for ease of dosing, this takes me no more than 5 minutes a month.

Hope this helps

Simon,

Thanks for the reassurance. I actually read through Clive's documentation on the train on my way home tonight. At the first glance (actually, second glance), it seemed a bit deep but once I really calm down, and read it through, it's not too difficult to understand the rationale behind it. Granted that my knowledge of chemistry is ZERO, but I do know that Potassium Nitrate is used for fertilizing purpose for plants (but not aquatic plants though).

Coley sent me a link to purchase my DIY fertilizer, so I'm going to give it a try. I wonder though, where can I find the CSM+B that Clive has mentioned. I tried to look it up from eBay but couldn't find it.

Clive mentioned that the dosage is based on the uptake rate. I suppose that it's all the matter of trial and error. Hopefully, I won't overdose my tank and cause further trouble. Clive must be laughing his tail off that I'm one of those foolish people who "fret about nutrient buildup"... but hey, I spent a great deal of time and efforts to set this up. I just want to do whatever makes sense to have a rewarding experience - a well planted tank that is visually appealing.

Clive's EI method is quite innovative and I have a good feeling that it will work better than dosing ADA products, save more $$$, and yield better results.

Thanks again folks. :)

- James

Actually the EI method is Tom Barr's, not mine.... 8)

Also, one never needs to worry about overdosing. Overdosing produces overgrowth.

Cheers,

Back