• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aesphyxsiation

neelhound

Sory i dont know how to spell it but i came home today and the co2 levels were high 3 fish amybe 4 dead(the catfish) the biggger fish are strugging upside down.I put the pump on took out the co2 diffuser and a pro aqua plant bag i put in as fertiliser in case that was causing it.IS this aesphyxiation?WHat else should i do?

'what else to do?'... a water change. If it is asphxiation (I can't spell it either :lol: ) then the WC will instantly put some O2 back in the tank. Fingers crossed your catfish will then start breathing again...

Ive got two airpumps on and im doing a w/c. Fingers crossed

Also the bigger fish is upside down but in good condition otherwise and trying tosturn over.It looks more like a swim bladder problem in his case...anything i can do?

I don't know what else can be done. I saw similar with a catfish of mine once, but he recovered fully after the CO2 levels were back to normal.

ok good.Im doing another 40% w/c with warm carbon-filtered water

i dont know if this is related but i think my co2 canister has just ran out. On the pressure reducer thing theres one that goes 1-160 and oanother 1-4 the 1-4 one was at zero im not clued up on that but i know the co2 stopped flowing and even so i tried to lower it some more and the black pressure reducing knob came out so i just took out the diffuser altogether
do nitrogen and phosphorus cause these sort of problems too?ive been using ferts containing them.I will carry on with co2 in about a week but this time using the less efficient diffuser that gave me good plant growth and fisah health
I'm going to try again with care and not give up the planted tank.
Also the largest fish has fully recovered(A green terror that suprisingly doesnt uproot my plants except on the odd occasion)
and the other fish are looking good.

Back