• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

After the riffle

AndyMcD

My very first attempt at keeping a planted tank has been underway for about 18 months, so I feel this upgrade will be my first real, proper aquascape.

So far, I've made a lot of errors and have struggled quite a bit, so I'd appreciate lots of constructive criticism. I've read far more than I've done, so I feel I've a massive amount to learn.

I'm also planning something that is a bit out of the ordinary, so I may end up with some unusual challenges.

My inspiration comes from, the Lake District:
InspirationHillstream.jpe

Padley Gorge:
http://www.nickscape.co.uk/padley-gorge-photography-guide-photographs

Fairy Glen, Betwys Y Coed, Wales:
http://www.robrowe.net/m/media/310cbb06-a049-11e3-b72c-1f6a9384bd60-fairy-glen-river-conwy-wales

http://www.snowdoniaguide.com/fairy_glen.htm

I'm bringing forward from my previous tank a number of rheophilic fish, that prefer oxygenated fast flowing streams. I appreciate that a river manifold aquarium would be a better design for this type of fish (but not for the plants).

I'm going for increased surface agitation, as this will help ensure more O2, 24 hours a day. For now, I'm planning on adding liquid carbon, as you can't out gas a liquid. If this doesn't work I may add CO2 plus an airstone at night. I've got two external filters, with two (ugly) spray bars along the back wall, pointing to the front, hopefully providing quite a bit of flow.

My aim is a design that is more rugged and hill stream like. I'm trying to suggest that there is a riffle to the left (upstream) and the plants are finding shelter in a bend in the stream, becoming more habitable to the right (downstream). The driftwood has been bent into shape by the flow. A waterfall can be glimpsed under the driftwood.

Once the plants grow in, I'm hoping this will create a clockwise spiral, beginning at the waterfall.

HardscapeSketch1.jpe

Close up of driftwood:
DryDriftwood.jpe

I'm using the rocks to separate the soil from the sand and to create deeper planting areas in the back right and left (like ADA do). I appreciate this makes it look like a wall, but I hope to soften this with pebbles, plants and moss.

HardscapeLayout.jpe

HardscapePlan.jpe

HardcapeDriftwood.jpe

HardscapeDriftwoodPlan.jpe

This is a close up of the waterfall, although the rocks will be less piled on top of each other in the centre.

WaterfallFocus.jpe

Tank size: 80W x 45D x 40H Optiwhite 144L
TankCabinet.jpe

Filters: Eheim and JBL external filters with 700 L/h turnover each
Light: Arcadia Classica OTL LED 800mm
Nutrients: Liquid carbon
Hardscape: TGM Blue Stone plus Manzanita driftwood
Substrate: ADA Aquasoil Amazonia (standard 9L and Powder x 3L) and JBL Volcano Mineral x 4L
Fiji Sand Coarse x 10L plus small river pebbles

Fish & shrimp (from previous tank):
Danio Choprae (Glowlight Danio) x 9
Gastromyzon Scitilus (hillstream loach) x 1
Gastromyzon Stellatus (hillstream loach) x 1
Caridina multidentata x 1
loaches800.jpe

Plants:
I'm mostly going for plants in Tropica's Easy range, although there are some Medium plants too.

PlantingSketch.jpe

Foreground (right hand side):
Crypt. Parva
Eleocharis Acicularis Mini (1-2-Grow)
Eleocharis Parvula
Marsilea Crenata (1-2-Grow)
Micranthemum Monte Carlo (1-2-Grow)

Midground:
Anubias Petite
Bacopa Compact
Crypt. Brown
Crypt. Costata
Crypt. Petchii
Crypt. Wendtii Green
Crypt. Willisii
Microsorum Pteporus Narrow

Background:
Crypt. Balansae Crispatula
Linderna Rotundifolia
Rotala Rotundifolia

Moss:
Fontinalis Antipyretica (1-2-Grow)
Vesicularia Ferriei Weeping (1-2-Grow)

I'd appreciate people's opinions on whether this design seems reasonable and any would appreciate any advice you can give.

Attachments

• WaterfallFocus.jpe
    WaterfallFocus.jpe
    1.6 MB · Views: 107
  • WaterfallFocus.jpe
    WaterfallFocus.jpe
    1.6 MB · Views: 88
  • TankCabinet.jpe
    TankCabinet.jpe
    1.3 MB · Views: 122
  • WaterfallFocus.jpe
    WaterfallFocus.jpe
    1.6 MB · Views: 89
  • TankCabinet.jpe
    TankCabinet.jpe
    1.3 MB · Views: 94
  • loaches800.jpe
    loaches800.jpe
    178.4 KB · Views: 120
  • TankCabinet.jpe
    TankCabinet.jpe
    1.3 MB · Views: 89
  • PlantingSketch.jpe
    PlantingSketch.jpe
    1.8 MB · Views: 113
  • loaches800.jpe
    loaches800.jpe
    178.4 KB · Views: 100
  • loaches800.jpe
    loaches800.jpe
    178.4 KB · Views: 99
  • PlantingSketch.jpe
    PlantingSketch.jpe
    1.8 MB · Views: 89
  • PlantingSketch.jpe
    PlantingSketch.jpe
    1.8 MB · Views: 94
The Fiji sand coarse looked a bit chunky, so I'm going for Unipac's Samoa sand fine X 7.5kg instead.

That's really some good drawing skills.
Some really professional planning done there mate. I wish i could do that, my scaping always comes in the heat of the moment.
My attention deficit doesn't help due to my lack of focus and no matter how much i plan it will never look the same in the tank. It's only when i am really building it that achieve the focus necessary to get something nice done.
The scape in the drawing looks amazing, now if you can translate that drawing into the tank it will look great.
Good luck

I take procrastinating to a whole new level! I've being planning this far too long and just need to get on with it.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am the next level when it comes to procrastinating.
It's something that drives me crazy as i do it without even noticing, it's part of the whole ADHD thing.
The tasks that require a lot of focus are left behind indefinitely.
Aquascaping is my place of zen, for me the hobby is more than a hobby.
It's something i use to relax and get my focus to endure the hardships of the daily life.
Still planning like yours is beyond me.

Aquascaping is my place of zen, for me the hobby is more than a hobby.

It's something i use to relax and get my focus to endure the hardships of the daily life.
Still planning like yours is beyond me.

I totally agree with you.

I've found aquascaping to be a brilliant way of diverting my mind away from the stresses of daily life.

This tank had been planned while sat in traffic jams, in boring meetings, when I can't get to sleep ...

I really like your drawings!

Just one thing I'd like to mention. Your biggest rock seems to have placed too close to the back glass. That would make maintenance of the glass harder and I guess make some obstacle to flow at the back. I'd move it forward for 2 inches or so.

Alexander, unfortunately I'm limited as to how far I can bring the big rock forward as the lines of rocks on the right and left link together and if I were to pull it forward they would all have to come forward and there isn't space at the front.

However, the shape of the rock may not appear as bad when viewed from the side. It's quite angled so I'm hoping I should be able to maintain most of the glass behind the rock.

BigRockSideOn.jpe

I've now finalised the rock work and I've added the sand. I am aiming for something that looks more rugged.

HardscapeWithSand.jpe

I like the lay out Andy.

I would like to suggest you forgo the liquid carbon and put that money in a cookie.

BruceF, just trying to get some photos in before BBA covers it all!

A phone pic update.

I added a bottom layer of JBL Volano Mineral and added a few TNC plugs:

JBLVolcanoTNCPlugs.jpe

Attachments

• JBLVolcanoTNCPlugs.jpe
    JBLVolcanoTNCPlugs.jpe
    1.6 MB · Views: 78
  • JBLVolcanoTNCPlugs.jpe
    JBLVolcanoTNCPlugs.jpe
    1.6 MB · Views: 91
  • JBLVolcanoTNCPlugs.jpe
    JBLVolcanoTNCPlugs.jpe
    1.6 MB · Views: 95
Sorry, hit Submit Reply. Update continued!

I then added the ADA Aquasoil Amazonia. To try to prevent the Aquasoil rolling forward, I added some TGM substrate supports.

Aquasoil.jpe

I double checked that the driftwood would fit. This is being soaked in a separate container, as I figured I would disturb things less when I come to tying plants and moss to it, if it wasn't in its final position.

Also, I added a thin layer of ADA Aquasoil Amazonia Powder Type, to cover the normal type and to fill the bottom right hand corner.

DriftwoodTest.jpe

I then sprayed / misted the Aquasoil with 3 litres of dechlorinated water, to soak it before filling the tank, to try and avoid it moving.

Using a BLUE colander, I then filled the aquarium (I tried to find a red one, but couldn't).

BlueColander.jpe

The filter and Aquasoil are now cycling for three weeks, doing large water changes once a week.

CyclingTank.jpe

I will be moving another external filter and inline heater from my old tank, with the fish once the plants are in and settled. The internal heater and filter will go.

I struggled to start the external filter for a day or two, which is why there is an internal filter in there too. The flows are at 90 degrees to each other. Once I got the filters working I didn't want to stop them. I think it's important to have lots of oxygen available and to keep the aquarium warm while the cycling process is underway. Lots of surface agitation means oxygen maximised.

Attachments

• Aquasoil.jpe
    Aquasoil.jpe
    1.6 MB · Views: 108
  • DriftwoodTest.jpe
    DriftwoodTest.jpe
    1.1 MB · Views: 106
  • Aquasoil.jpe
    Aquasoil.jpe
    1.6 MB · Views: 95
  • Aquasoil.jpe
    Aquasoil.jpe