• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

AGA 2008 results...

:( I can't see the images!

Wow, what an achievement George - judge of AGA! You're well on the way to becoming the next Amano.

Well done Peter. You too George

Congrats Zig. The beers are on you me thinks. Always like those scapes since the first day you put them on hence me trying out a few of your methods. lol

One things that disappoints me though with the overall placings is they are all minimalist/Iwagumi/Nature styles and there isn't a spread of Jungle/Dutch styles. Maybe the entries for these 2 types weren't up to standard but it does seem to me that the Nature style seems to preferred over the others these days.

Maybe just me and I know people probs will go meh and pfff what ever I say but I wasn't particularly impressed with the best in show, the 3rd placed small, the 3rd placed medium. the 1st and 2nd placed large. I think there were better in each category than these but then I am no aquascaper. lol

I was however happy to see that the gimmick scapes with lakes etc (thinking Lazarevic in particular) were rated on what they are IMO. They look really fake to me.

That Bob Vivian is hard to please. Couldn't believe some of his comments. lol

Well done to George. Moving up through the 'ranks' very swiftly now. I guess you are now a Captain? How long before you are the General? ;)

AC

^ I noticed that with regards to the placings. I was looking at some of them thinking ''are you looking at the same scape as I am?'' because I think there were better scapes than some of the higher ranked ones.

Hi Steve

Every aquascape is marked out of 100 (see the judging criteria on the AGA site) and ranked accordingly by collating all the judges' marks. Lower rank positions aren't made public.

Prizes are awarded to the top 3 in each category and 'Highly Commended' are 'scapes that any one judge marked as their personal favourite in that category (if they weren't already in the top 3).

Ah right. I did wonder if it was something along those lines. If I entered a scape and ranked, say 900th (most likely ;)) would I be told what my own rank is, or are all the ranks kept private, even from the person that entered the scape?

Congrats on being a judge :) I bet it took a while to review and comment on all of those scapes. You seem to be the only judge who has consistently commented on the entries, from all the ones I've managed to load/look at so far :)

Thanks chaps I'm sure your fed up looking at these tanks of mine by now though better get something new up quick!

I honestly thought I had entered both of these aquascapes in the same small tank catagory in the competition. I dont think I would have enterd both of them if I knew they were going to be in different catagories because lets face it they look pretty similar, one is a copy of the other really. I thought I had read in the entry guidelines (nearly sure I did) that the small tank catagory was under 100 litres and both of my entries would have fitted that rule, with my ADA tank at 97 litres so just about under and the other 54 litres. I cant find the guidelines now on the website, I thought I had printed it off and went looking for it last night but couldn't find it. They also cropped one of my shots (minor complaint), actually I no complaints, how could I :) but I was pretty sure I had entered both in the same catagory and I thought well, sure if they dont like one they might like the other, little did I know! :lol:

Well done to George though, definitely kept that one quiet, some great comments (and lots of them, nearly every entry was commented upon, some of them right on the mark, spot on for judging IMHO) ADA has to be next George :D very well done though mate some serious amount of work there I'm sure, many hours, a thankless task as well for the most part. Kudos to you mate 8)

Bob Vivian, who is Bob? what handle does he go under around the planted forums? tbh I didn't think his commentry was that harsh, some of his judging I thought was very good as well. Karen Randall has lots of experience at this stage, probably one of the most experienced judges around, some of her commentry can be quite harsh as well but I think people just accept it because she is so experienced and so they accept what she has to say. Takashi Amano, he's not bad either :lol:

Some of the best tanks in the competition were in the large and x large section IMHO.

Pity no one else from UKAPS placed highly this year, last year I had 3 entries and got nowhere, so stick at it, things can turn around, some good scapers on here at this stage ;)

Anyway just some of my thoughts, overall I enjoyed looking through all of the entries last night, spent a good few hours looking through them, the slow website was driving me bonkers though :rolleyes:

I can't find the rules anywhere on the site either. On the forum is says look on the main website and on the main website it just lets you see the entries ;(

Maybe I'll enter next year when its grown so I can read the 'harsh' opinions of my unpruned, unmaintained 'jungle'. lol

AC

Back