• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

AI Prime Freshwater lights

Twisted Melon

Hi,

These lights say they have a coverage of 24”. My tank is 54” long. Will 2 lights be enough?

I don’t want to buy a third light for the extra 6” of tank length if I can help it.

Thanks.

I've not used the freshwater version but played with some reef primes and wasn't overly impressed with the spread at all. It might have been because they favour the blue spectrum so always look dimmer and darker with reduced spread but I'd definitely see if you can see one in person before buying and judge it by eye. As for the spread, check out one of the par maps here https://www.theaquariumsolution.com/product/3018/284 which tells you how much par you can get slightly over the 24".
The reef prime I played with were the first generation, a few years ago, I'm sure these new freshwater ones are steps ahead as aqua illumination are a great company.

Good points. I don’t want to limit the scapes I can create, but 3 of these lights ‘ain’t cheap!

Has anybody got experience with the Fluval 2.0 lights?

What are your tank dimensions?

You could begin with 2 lights, adding a third later if needed

Prime Freshwater hasn't been on the market for very long, so not much on forums yet
Note that it has no manual controls so you must use a SmartPhone or computer to run the light

Tank dimensions are:

137cm x 46cm x 46cm

I’ve read that these are pretty bright lights but there isn’t my info on setting them up from the manufacture which doesn’t help.

For the price difference I'd also consider Aqua Medic Qube LED Plant version
Similar 90* lens (AFAIK) - I'd prefer a 120* lens, especially as your tank is only 45cm tall, though you can compensate somewhat by raising the LED above the tank (but then need to use the suspension kit or modify the gooseneck clamp)

With any of these LED, take the 60cm spread with a a good deal of :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
- especially given the 80* lens, PAR will be significantly lower outside a 30 cm diameter, & more like deep shade outside 45cm diameter (so plan aquascape accordingly)

You might ask AI for the 3D PAR graph

Thanks both.

The price on the qube is tempting.

I’m thinking I’m going to need 3 lights either way.

I got to say this is my dream tank size/shape! Unfortunately the current trend in led tiles/ spotlights just doesn't work very well with long, "thin" tanks. My suggestion would be 3x Kessil a80s, if they still come with a free gooseneck they are far more affordable than the primes and cover "upto" 24inch (read 16-18inches) each so should work out quite nicely. They do however pack less of a punch, only 15w each, low/medium light really, so just consider what plants you are wanting to keep.

If you can suspend the lights then 1x 4ft or even 2x 2ft strip style lights might work best?

CMac

I can’t suspend lights unfortunately.

I’m considering getting Fluval 2.0 lights instead at the moment. Probs need 2 of them.

Too many descisions! :crazy:

Kessil A80 despite only being 15watt, have the new lens system which is significantly more efficient

I'd consider Twinstar (much more uptodate LED tech) over the Fluval 2.0 (though perhaps you're getting a significant discount on these)

Lots of examples of Twinstar being used on the Aquascaper tanks (& AquaEden)

Buy the Fluval through a shop that has excellent customer service (though perhaps current manufacture "runs" have improved)
:)

PlantedTank has several threads & reviews

My local shop had some on display tanks, I wasn't overly impressed (though I notice that UK pricing seems better matched to the light quality)
The wifi control is fairly limited so test this out & make sure it matches expectations

I got to say this is my dream tank size/shape! Unfortunately the current trend in led tiles/ spotlights just doesn't work very well with long, "thin" tanks. My suggestion would be 3x Kessil a80s, if they still come with a free gooseneck they are far more affordable than the primes and cover "upto" 24inch (read 16-18inches) each so should work out quite nicely. They do however pack less of a punch, only 15w each, low/medium light really, so just consider what plants you are wanting to keep.

If you can suspend the lights then 1x 4ft or even 2x 2ft strip style lights might work best?

CMac

I’d be happy to suspend lights, but I can’t hang from the ceiling.

The A80 do look promising!

I possibly may get 2 x A160 and get an A80 to go in the middle to cover the extra 6 inches. Save a few quid then.

Thanks muchly.

Back