• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Air Pump at night?

Krishs Bettas

I was wondering if it was worth to run a air pump at night because I run my co2 all day and night to help the fish?

I bought a valve for co2, so it can be switched off at night, yet I do have a high stock level of fish, so would be interested to know if even though the co2 is off, can the fish consume the o2?

The thing is when the lights are off the plants will be consuming O2 and so competing with the fish. In light stocking levels this shouldn't be an issue as there should be plenty of O2 from the plants. If you look at amano et al they all use additional aeration a few hours after lights off

Hi all,
I bought a valve for co2, so it can be switched off at night, yet I do have a high stock level of fish, so would be interested to know if even though the co2 is off, can the fish consume the o2?
Definitely run the air pump, all the bio-load, that is all the living aerobic organisms in both tank and filter *(fish, snails, plants, bacteria) are respiring all the time (using O2, producing CO2). During the light period, it is only when photosynthesis reaches the "compensation point", that the oxygen production from photosynthesis (CO2 in, O2 out) exceeds the plants demand for oxygen (for respiration) and the plants become net oxygen producers.

A planted tank will have a bigger bio-load (this is not as straight forward as it seems due to the effects plants have on water quality) than an equivalent non-planted tank. If you have lots of fish, or fish with a high O2 demand, you need to run extra aeration at night. If you don't have plants you need to run it all the time.

cheers Darrel

After reading one of George F's PFK articles (10 planted tank myths) myth #6, I've twisted one of my spray bars so that it causes ripples on the surface so that it drives off excess gas once the Co2 goes off. I previously had very little surface movement and the DC hardly changed colour after lights out/Co2 shutoff. It wasn't a problem b4 as I had no fauna, but since I've added fishies I thought it best.

Back