Air Pump when lights are out

Discussion in 'General Planted Tank Discussions' started by james3200, 23 May 2008.

1. james3200

james3200 Member

Anyone use an air pump when lights are out?

My discus really appreciate it and i am sure the plants do too

Think i read Mr Amano does also?

Thoughts?

James

2. George Farmer

George Farmer Founder Staff Member

Not done it myself.

My CO2 goes off before lights out and I have a lot of surface agitation anyway. I'm not sure if it would make a difference in my set ups.

3. ceg4048

ceg4048 Expert/Global Moderator Staff Member

No, me neither. One more level of complication I can do without. I too have some degree of surface agitation and CO2 goes off 4-5 hours before lights out. High(ish) filter throughput helps with all this as well.

Cheers,

4. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Administrator Staff Member

I always had an air pump on my tank as the DIY CO2 that run 24/7 did affect the fish, now that I have pressurised I was afraid not to turn it on so I have it come on at lights out for about 3 hours and then goes off. Seems to be working fine with everything so I am going to leave it like that and I am sure the fish appreciate it ;)

5. Dave Spencer

Dave Spencer Member

An air pump is a complication I can`t be doing with, either.

Dave.

6. TDI-line

TDI-line Member

I'll just be different to the rule, and trickle my co2 24/7. :lol:

7. james3200

james3200 Member

I guess it is another complication. So far, so good, been doing it for a few weeks for a couple of hours on and off throughout the night and the discus seem much healthier when its been on

8. Wolfenrook

Wolfenrook Member

I don't keep Discus (my shrimp wouldn't thank me for adding Discus. lol), but I don't use an air pump either, they are too darn noisy! I just make sure that I have enough surface agitation to keep the CO2 levels from getting to high at night, and I use DIY CO2 running 24/7. I do sometimes have to move the suplementary (to my external) Fluval 2 filter higher in my tank to create more agitation, usually after changing the mix in 1 of the 2 bottles as there tends to be a spike in output at first.

Have you considered a small powerhead, perhaps with a venturi, set to come on at night instead? Much quieter and will help with circulation in your tank. They also don't have diaphragms in them that need replacing regularly.

Ade