• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Air Pump when lights are out

james3200

Anyone use an air pump when lights are out?

My discus really appreciate it and i am sure the plants do too

Think i read Mr Amano does also?

Thoughts?

James

No, me neither. One more level of complication I can do without. I too have some degree of surface agitation and CO2 goes off 4-5 hours before lights out. High(ish) filter throughput helps with all this as well.

Cheers,

I always had an air pump on my tank as the DIY CO2 that run 24/7 did affect the fish, now that I have pressurised I was afraid not to turn it on so I have it come on at lights out for about 3 hours and then goes off. Seems to be working fine with everything so I am going to leave it like that and I am sure the fish appreciate it ;)

An air pump is a complication I can`t be doing with, either.

Dave.

I guess it is another complication. So far, so good, been doing it for a few weeks for a couple of hours on and off throughout the night and the discus seem much healthier when its been on

I don't keep Discus (my shrimp wouldn't thank me for adding Discus. lol), but I don't use an air pump either, they are too darn noisy! I just make sure that I have enough surface agitation to keep the CO2 levels from getting to high at night, and I use DIY CO2 running 24/7. I do sometimes have to move the suplementary (to my external) Fluval 2 filter higher in my tank to create more agitation, usually after changing the mix in 1 of the 2 bottles as there tends to be a spike in output at first.

Have you considered a small powerhead, perhaps with a venturi, set to come on at night instead? Much quieter and will help with circulation in your tank. They also don't have diaphragms in them that need replacing regularly.

Ade

Back