• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Air pump

parotet

Hi all

I want to buy an air pump for one of my tanks. It will be a temporary equipment. I want it because I am using lily pipes and when I will be on holidays, no one will be able to raise the lily pipes for me. I have noticed that the water quality, especially in summer, decreases without night aeration... so switching an air pump to a timer during non-CO2 hours would be a possible solution.

Now the question is... I have read that it doesn't matter the bubble size and that oxygenation is much more important due to the bubbles breaking the water surface than to the O2 dissolving on the water. There's something I don't really get here, and as far as I understand the Twinstar produces micro O2 bubbles that contribute to water oxygenation, isn't it? I have lately seen some kind of air stones that produce super fine bubbles (at least that's what they say!). So, does it make sense to try them? I have also a Chinese cheapo ceramic CO2 diffuser that would be able to do something similar, ins't it?

Jordi

I'd been pondering exactly the same thing about this micro bubble argument with twinstar. obviously using electrolysis to generate bubbles might allow much finer bubbles to form. the tiny nano size of the bubbles being the important part of the science. something that might not be achievable via ceramic diffusers. our is it..... :)

you can but test. and if successful the urge to buy a really expensive product will be removed from me and you will have my thanks. :)

No way an airpump will be able to build up enough pressure to work its way through a ceramic diffusor. The smallest bubbles I've been able to produce via an air pump, is with the adjustable Eheim O2 diffusors, but closed too far, nothing at all. It's a definite pressure thing.

And I personally think the Twinstar is just a gimmick.

The surface agitation caused by the bubbles (not the bubbles them selves) is what adds oxygen to the water. Or at least that's what I've read on here.

Wow, this is rocket science for my poor skills... Additionally I want to purchase a 12 euros pump, just something that would be able to bubble and break the water surface.

By the way, one more question. It is said that air pumps must not be placed under the cabinet or under the water level to avoid back flow (I will have back flow for sure as the pump will work on a timer and will be stopped). Does it still make sense if I use a non return valve? I wanted to place it behind the tank

Jordi

Non return valves reduce the power of the pump I have found. cheap pumps don't have much oomph so can't cope with anything rstricting flow

Hi all,
I have read that it doesn't matter the bubble size and that oxygenation is much more important due to the bubbles breaking the water surface than to the O2 dissolving on the water. There's something I don't really get here, and as far as I understand the Twinstar produces micro O2 bubbles that contribute to water oxygenation, isn't it? I have lately seen some kind of air stones that produce super fine bubbles (at least that's what they say!).
I think the difference is between normal macroscopic and nano bubbles. It is the nano bubbles that are used for water purification etc. EPDM diffusers produce finer bubbles and don't need really high air pressure to work.

If you decrease the size of the bubbles and increase the residence time in the water column, then more oxygen will diffuse out of the bubbles, but it is much easier to just have ordinary bubbles and rely on the larger gas exchange surface. On larger tanks (60cm and up) I have a venturi on the internal filter and I aim it at the intake sponge of the canister filter. The bubbles adhere to the sponge, increasing residence time and ensure that the water flowing into the canister is fully oxygenated.

cheers Darrel

i had a little sniff around air pumps when i first read this post. most list psi rather then bar pressure but's there are plenty of converters online. basically the biggest air pumps for aquariums i could find for big money put out about a quarter of the pressure that the more basic of CO2 reg's work at to run our diffusers (2 bar). I don't however have a clue of the minimal working pressure of our glass diffusers, but the newer Bazooka types ask for around 1.5 bar. more umph needed. :/

Back for the LFS. I got myself the Sera Air pump 110... cheap and powerful enough for my small tanks. As mentioned, bubbling and breaking the surface is all I expect from it.

Non return valves reduce the power of the pump I have found. cheap pumps don't have much oomph so can't cope with anything rstricting flow
It comes actually with a check valve to prevent from back flowing, and to be able to place it wherever you need. It can deal with the check valve.

i had a little sniff around air pumps when i first read this post. most list psi rather then bar pressure but's there are plenty of converters online. basically the biggest air pumps for aquariums i could find for big money put out about a quarter of the pressure that the more basic of CO2 reg's work at to run our diffusers (2 bar). I don't however have a clue of the minimal working pressure of our glass diffusers, but the newer Bazooka types ask for around 1.5 bar. more umph needed. :/
I have just tried it with my cheapo ceramic diffusers and it doesn't have enough muscle to produce bubbles, and even if you manage to do it, I guess it is no good for the engine to work this way (unless it can really deliver a real high pressure)

I aso bought the Eheim ball diffuser which can be slightly regulated, from very large bubbles to something relatively small. Not brilliant but good quality and acceptable price

Jordi

Last edited:
And I personally think the Twinstar is just a gimmick.
a gimmick that undeniably works and has been proven time and time again...??

as I understand the Twinstar produces micro O2 bubbles that contribute to water oxygenation
i believe it produces ozone and it does have an odour so think this is true.

I aso bought the Eheim ball diffuser which can be slightly regulated, from very large bubbles to something relatively small. Not brilliant but good quality and acceptable price
more than enough for what you want to do :)

Back