• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

akadama

Nick16

hi, can it be crushed into a more of a powder? i want a fine substrate for my next tank and i have some jbl aquabasis but want to cap it with something, i have masses of akadama so i was wondering if i could mash it up a bit. or would that be a bad idea? its only a small tank so i wont need much.

yeah, it may be a week or three :lol: before i actually get round do setting it up but i will see how i go. thinking about it a powder may not be the best option but if i can at leat crush it a bit that will be fine. might get a rolling pin, put the akadama in a clear bag, tie a knot and roll it a couple of times, then our the stuff into a bucket and repeat the process.

but
1) ADA is expensive
2) i have about 14 kg's of akadama so its in plentiful supply!

i might just leave it how it is or just leave the jbl aquabasis uncapped.

Why not try crushing it gently and then seiving the resulting bits to get rid of the very fine dust like bits while keeping the slightly larger bits? I've never tried it but it might work well.

yeah i might give it ago. what shall i do with the dust? mix it with compost for my house plants? :D

Nick16 said:
yeah i might give it ago. what shall i do with the dust? mix it with compost for my house plants? :D

Why not? Can't hurt! You could always put it in the base mixture in the tank with the slightly larger stuff on top.

Back