• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Akysis vespa

brodnig

Hi all,

Has anyone had any experiences with these in planted tanks? I know they like to burrow in substrate and wondered if this would have any affect on plants uprooting etc.?

Cheers

Very nice fish, thanks for alerting me to it.

With its preference to dig into the sand it is probably best suited to a more specialized species tank. Ideally, I guess, the substrate should be all sand, which we normally don't have in planted aquaria. Also it seems to come from fast flowing waters, which would mean something like 15-20x filter turnover.

A combination could be a planted tank based on plants that do not require substrate, Microsorum, Bollbitis, etc. Then you could go for all sand substrate. This is is just the tank I immediately started planning when I read about these fish :).

Thomas

Thanks for the replies Thomas, Darrel.

I'm going to add them to my nano with a view to creating a biotope along the lines Thomas described when funds permit.

Hoping dim lighting with lots of floating riccia to diffuse light will encourage them to be out and about a bit!! Will be low tech all the way, no co2 added

Back