• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Alder in a tank

Hi all,
Some of the branches are interesting shapes. If I let them dry out and remove the bark can I use them in my tanks?
Yes, they are rot resistant and soften the water. The bark used to be used for tanning like Oak, and the wood for making clogs (because it is rot resistant). You'll need to soak it before use.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

Yes, they are rot resistant and soften the water. The bark used to be used for tanning like Oak, and the wood for making clogs (because it is rot resistant). You'll need to soak it before use.

cheers Darrel

cheers darell - whats the reason for soaking? will it leach anything toxic to either shrimp or fish tanks?

Hi all,
will it leach anything toxic to either shrimp or fish tanks?
Not really it will have some sap in it as Alders are early into growth, which means it will grow some fairly slimy fungus, and it has a lot of tannins, so it will make the water very tannin stained.

If it was a large piece of wood in a small tank this might compromise water quality, in a bigger tank it will be fine.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

Not really it will have some sap in it as Alders are early into growth, which means it will grow some fairly slimy fungus, and it has a lot of tannins, so it will make the water very tannin stained.

If it was a large piece of wood in a small tank this might compromise water quality, in a bigger tank it will be fine.

cheers Darrel

cheers darrell

thanks for help.

richard

Back