• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Algae, algae, algae

Chuunofish

Hi

I have a juwel rio 350 (2x 29w leds) with both standard internal and oase 350 external filters.

Water parameters are as follows:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Ph6.5
Kh 4.2
Phosphates <,0.1ppm.

I am using ro water changed 30% weekly with seachem stability. Filter maintenance weekly/monthly as required. I have been dosing with trace elements and seachem flourish as per manufacturers recommendation. Plants seem to be growing ok albeit some species appear a little pale.

I have a severe algae problem, particularly on slow growing plants. I have recently started dosing co2 which is around 30ppm.

am I on the right track or do I need to increase dosing with higher dosage. I am also considering using s dosing pump, can anyone recommend a good fert strategy for auto dosing?
20210220_185550.jpg

Hi
Some more information will be helpful.
Is there a reason you are using RO?
Whats your tap water parameters?
Larger water changes will benefit the system....50% or even more if you don't have shrimp!
Remove as much algae infested leaves as possible.
General husbandry will reduce various algae......liquid carbon will help in the short term.
Seems your dosing two lots of trace/micro elements!
The plants look like they are suffering from Nitrate shortage giving them a lighter green colour.
You need to dose NPK macro fertilizer especially now your adding Carbon Dioxide.
hoggie

Hi

I have a juwel rio 350 (2x 29w leds) with both standard internal and oase 350 external filters.

Water parameters are as follows:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Ph6.5
Kh 4.2
Phosphates <,0.1ppm.

I am using ro water changed 30% weekly with seachem stability. Filter maintenance weekly/monthly as required. I have been dosing with trace elements and seachem flourish as per manufacturers recommendation. Plants seem to be growing ok albeit some species appear a little pale.

I have a severe algae problem, particularly on slow growing plants. I have recently started dosing co2 which is around 30ppm.

am I on the right track or do I need to increase dosing with higher dosage. I am also considering using s dosing pump, can anyone recommend a good fert strategy for auto dosing?
My apologies, I am new to this.

Tank is 350 ltrs
Lighting schedule is 6 hours per day.
Not sure how to classify planting density but I would say medium. All easy tropica plants sorry I have forgotten about of names, but anubis, crypts and java fern are the ones I can remember.

Gravel over tropica substrate.

Fish density is highish 1 x plec, 3 gourami, 3 rams, 5 derphae tetra 10 rummy nose tetra and 11+ ,otocinclus (started with 4).

Attachments

• 20210309_112050.jpg
    20210309_112050.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 139
Hi
Some more information will be helpful.
Is there a reason you are using RO?
Whats your tap water parameters?
Larger water changes will benefit the system....50% or even more if you don't have shrimp!
Remove as much algae infested leaves as possible.
General husbandry will reduce various algae......liquid carbon will help in the short term.
Seems your dosing two lots of trace/micro elements!
The plants look like they are suffering from Nitrate shortage giving them a lighter green colour.
You need to dose NPK macro fertilizer especially now your adding Carbon Dioxide.
hoggie
Hi, thank you for the feedback.

I am using RO as water is very hard kh 17+ and not suitable for fish species I keep. I thought ro was better than chemical treatments.

I remove the plants on rocks and treat with bleach solution 1 per month but the algae returns very quickly.

I will try a NPK Fertiliser, any recommendations?

Thank you once again

am I on the right track

Unfortunately no.

do I need to increase dosing with higher dosage.

Yes, esp with CO2 injection.

Commercial ferts will soon work out expensive with 350l tank, Less than 100litres then TNC complete would be the product I would advise, For your tank a starter kit from APFUK would provide ferts at a better levels and cheaper (out of stock :eek:), Short term some TNC then dosing at x3 to x6 standard dose (standard dose works out at about £0.50 a week for your tank)

I wouldnt use a bleach dip.....never found that it worked long term!
Have a look at this article below!
hoggie

Hi all,
Welcome to UKAPS.
Filter maintenance weekly/monthly as required.
Which media do you have inside your filter? It might be a bit of a strange question, but while we don't know <"what is the trigger"> for the growth of any type of algae, but we think that an outbreak of Stagshorn Algae might be preceded by high levels of <"dissolved organic matter">.

Because plants are very effective at taking up <"fixed nitrogen"> we don't want the biological filter media <"to develop a thick biofilm">.
But I suspect a lack of macronutrients. Seachem Flourish is basically trace elements, no nitrogen or phosphorus.
Probably <"part of the answer">. Again we don't know exactly why, but a <"large biomass of plants"> (in active growth) seems to deter algae.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
Welcome to UKAPS.

Which media do you have inside your filter? It might be a bit of a strange question, but while we don't know <"what is the trigger"> for the growth of any type of algae, but we think that an outbreak of Stagshorn Algae might be preceded by high levels of <"dissolved organic matter">.

Because plants are very effective at taking up <"fixed nitrogen"> we don't want the biological filter media <"to develop a thick biofilm">.

Probably <"part of the answer">. Again we don't know exactly why, but a <"large biomass of plants"> (in active growth) seems to deter algae.

cheers Darrel
In juwel stack I have 1x carbon, 1 x seachem phosguard1 x seachem purigen, 2 x coarsefoam and 1 x filter floss

In the oase 350 2 x seachem matrix, 1 x coarse foam 3 x medium foam. The pre filter has 40ppm sponges

In juwel stack I have 1x carbon, 1 x seachem phosguard1 x seachem purigen, 2 x coarsefoam and 1 x filter floss

In the oase 350 2 x seachem matrix, 1 x coarse foam 3 x medium foam. The pre filter has 40ppm sponges

I would remove everything except coarse foam, medium foam and the pre filter sponges, may a hand full of ceramic but not much. As @ceg4048 often says 'FLOW is KING' in the high tech tank, have a strong King to rule everything

I would remove everything except coarse foam, medium foam and the pre filter sponges, may a hand full of ceramic but not much. As @ceg4048 often says 'FLOW is KING' in the high tech tank, have a strong King to rule everything
Based on between the 2 filters I have 6 x flow 2100ltrs per hours how much more should I aim for?

About 10x the volume of the aquarium.
I don't think you need to bin your plants yet!
Have a go at upping the filter cleaning.....and reduce your lighting intensity if you can, get some floating plants or use fast growing stems as floaters also plant some of the stems!
Remove algae infected leaves as much as possible.....Staghorn Algae can be due to a build up of organics in the filters.
You have green spot algae which is an indicator of low phosphate!
Get your drop checker to a green colour before lights come on.
You need to dose NPK.....purchase dry salts from eBay this will save you money....... and you can tailor which ferts you need to add to the aquarium!

For 350litre tank we would advise x10 so 3500Litres per hour, it can be done with less and some users do manage with x5. With your staghorn the higher the better IMO and good surface agitation. will see the fastest results in combination with ferts a good clean removing worse leaves and frequent WCs.
Starting again would give the fastest result, however you may find you didnt resolve the issue which caused the staghorn :banghead::banghead::banghead:.

So getting things to improve first would be my goal
As @GHNelson mentioned checking CO2 drop and a pH profile would/may help

Would guess Nitrate is 0 ppm!

Back