Algae an unhealthy leaves

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Themuleous, 4 Jan 2008.

1. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

Looking at my work tank I often notice that any algae I get (thankfully this tank is pretty much algae free, not even GSA thanks to my nerites! Touch wood!!!) is normally only on the older leaves and it got me to thinking.

Would there be any foundation to the theory that algae is more able to attach to unhealthy leaves?

Or is it just that there is more time for the algae to have grown on the older leaves and as such it is just more visible on the older leaves due to its size?

Anyone see where I'm coming from?

Sam

2. Dan Crawford

Dan Crawford Founder Staff Member

i believe your theory to be true. I think its because old, dying and struggling leaves release amonia which inevitably attracts algae. Also an older leave has had a longer time in which to attract algae. These are just my guesses and no doubt they'll be corrected ;)

3. ceg4048

ceg4048 Expert/Global Moderator Staff Member

Yep, as Dan says - that agrees with Barr's explanation of why nutrient deficiency results in algae attacks, and why the phobia of dosing macro nutrients (nitrates, phosphates) is unfounded.

Cheers,

4. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

Do you happen to have a link to anything by Tom so I read up a bit more?

5. George Farmer

George Farmer Founder Staff Member

Poorly plants also leech ammonia/ammonium - huge algae trigger.