• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Algae Eater Q

Nick16

right, i know these questions get asked often but i need some help with mine.

i want something to prevent/eat some algae that may occur in my new tank, however i dont know what to use. it will house M.praecox (small 6cm rainbowfish). Shrimps look to be out of the question as rainbowfish munch them. Snails are a possibility (not pest snails) but they do not do a massive job (i was thinking perhaps a few nerites and a couple of apples). (this is possibility No:1)
i may get a BN plec but i know they are poop machines so i am unsure on what to do here as i probably wont be able to vac the tank floor due to plants) (some help maybe....(suggestions?)) (Poss No:2, could have snails + plec))

However, i really like the look of SAE's but they do get large. i like them becuase they are active all of the time unlike catfish etc. however, i need to make sure i get the ture SAE rather than the false. i understand that the true has the black line going right to the tip of the tail and that the fins are 'clear' as opposed to the yellowy colour of the False's. (am i right here??) however, i am unsure of the size of that True SAE's can reach... and what numbers i could have, if any, in a 240L tank. (Rio 240)

i know i will only get the Algae eaters when/if i get algae and not before, and i will have beggies in there just in case.

oh and no ottos, they are too inhardy. (if thats a word)
so in conclusion i think i need some help on what would be best for me

I don't really understand where this 'otos are fragile' idea has come from?
We had a delivery of them last week at work, probably a few hundred in total. To date we have lost just one, which I think is the probably the lowest loss rate out of all the fish.
I'd go with about 10 otos and some nerite snails. BN plecs are frankly useless and lazy with regards to algae, especially males!

Nick16 said:
i understand that the true has the black line going right to the tip of the tail and that the fins are 'clear' as opposed to the yellowy colour of the False's.

yep, like this....

8a80715a.jpg

ahh, cheers saintly, i have heard they get large though? will 1 be ok in a 240L tank, 120cm long? (if/when i get algae)
they have seemed very illusive around here.... mostly the false ones that crop up. (not that i need one yet!! :lol: )

i dont know whether M.praecox will eat amano shrimp.....
gratts said:
I don't really understand where this 'otos are fragile' idea has come from?

We had a delivery of them last week at work, probably a few hundred in total. To date we have lost just one, which I think is the probably the lowest loss rate out of all the fish.
I'd go with about 10 otos and some nerite snails. BN plecs are frankly useless and lazy with regards to algae, especially males!

i have had really bad luck with them, my water is fine, i have a spraybar for surface adjitation,there isnt anything to harass them, and they are fed loads.. so im miffed.

I understand BN's can be plant eaters if not kept fed on lettuce/spinnach etc.

I think Ottos should be fine as long as you take your time aclimatising them. They really need a good hour or so of gradually adding a little of your tank water to their bag/container.

SAE's don't grow massive, but can get to about 6". I've read they can be kept alone, or in groups of 6+ to spread out any teritorial disputes in larger tanks :)

Google SAE's for more info ;)

i will keep one i think, as 6 may look a bit crowded. do they eat veggies, like cucumber?

i normally acclimatise all of my new purchases for 1 hour with small amounts of water being added. i though it was standard procedure? i even do that for snails!

Back