• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Algae eaters/ fish help

mattyc

i want to add some algae eating fish ( if i need to) to my tank when i set it up, the tank will have 2 angel fish, 5 tetras and 2 cockatoo cichlids there will be a few cherry srimp (maby 10) in there also the tank is a 60L i only have the angels and the cichlids at the min so can anyone help me with my options. i dont want to over stock the tank so i can avoid algae ( which is why i have re-done the tank) i am thinking about taking the angels back to the shop and just get a shoal of tetras or something simalar.

thanks Matt

I think your idea of taking the angels back is the best thing. I have two adult angels in a 180l tank and they could do with a larger one as there is some aggression.

Stick with the apistogrammas and a larger shoal of tetras, or even better pencilfish as they won't eat any babies the cichlids might produce. Bear in mind Apistogramma cacatuoides may eat any shrimp you put in, but Otos will be fine for eating any algae.

my angels are peaceful and seem to get on with the cichlids if they stay away from each other wich they do. the angels always stay together and look realy nice but if they have to go then so be it, i realy want a 200L but not got the money :(
one of my cichlids wont eat and has been this way since the cat fish in their old tank ate all their fri was a sad day :arghh: but i want to get them healthy and get some babies again in the new tank hopfully it will be set up this weekend just waiting for the plants.

Thnaks for the fast reply.

Otos would probably be best in that set up yeh. most other AE will get too big..

Back